Countdown To Puck Drop: Phantoms At WaterlooJanuary 21, 2010 - United States Hockey League (USHL) Youngstown Phantoms
Just two points behind Waterloo for fourth place in the East Division, the Phantoms (14-17-2, 30 points / 6th in East) will try to break a season-long three-game road losing skid tomorrow in northeastern Iowa. First-year F Cody Strang recorded the franchise's first three-goal game Monday, scoring a "natural" hat trick over the span of 4:55 at the end of the second period. All-Star F Taylor Holstrom chipped in a goal and three helpers for the Phantoms' first four-point game.
The Black Hawks (15-16-2, 32 points / 4th in East) have gone 6-1-1 since falling in Youngstown three weeks ago, soaring into playoff contention after a sputtering start to their season. F Tyler Barnes desposited two goals and two assists in the Hawks' 5-3 home win Saturday against Tri-City. Rookie F Soren Jonzzon picked up two points, including his first game-winning goal on the power play early in the final frame.
- Twelve different offensive records were set or matched in Monday's 7-3 romp, with new highs reached in goals in a single period (5 in the 2nd) power-play goals in a game and single period (3, all in the 2nd), shots in a game and period (44 total, 23 in the 2nd), and margin of victory. And although D Scott Mayfield didn't score, his +3 matched the best plus-minus rating by a Phantom this season.
- In addition to the end of the losing streak, a couple of other unsavory stretches reached their merciful conclusions Monday. F Adam Berkle's tying goal midway through the second ended the Phantoms 0-for-20 power play drought that dated back to Jan. 3 in Green Bay. Youngstown also outshot its opponent for the first time since Dec. 19 against Team USA (U-18), a span of seven games.
- G Jordan Tibbett stopped 41 shots, his second best total of the season, in earning his seventh win Dec. 29 vs. Waterloo. The veteran netminder also earned his first point of the campaign, a primary assist on Mayfield's game-winning power-play tally midway through the third.
BLACK HAWK DOWN
- Stuck in sixth place in the East after dropping the 4-3 decision at Covelli Centre prior to the new year, the Hawks have earned points in seven of eight tilts since, outscoring their opponents 29-18 and leaping into the division's top four. Goaltenders C.J. Motte and C.J. Groh have each earned a shutout in the midst of Waterloo's recent hot spell, with Motte posting a perfect record in three appearances and Groh going 3-1-1.
- With penalty minute accumulators like D Tony Turgeon (2nd in USHL with 113) and F Jimmy Siers in their nest, the Hawks have been shorthanded 205 times this season and have surrendered a league-leading 51 goals on the penalty kill. Luckily for them, their fourth-ranked power play's 21.5 percent conversion rate, powered by top snipers Brock Montpetit (20 G) and Tyler Barnes (19), helps to even things up.
- The Black Hawks scored twice on the power play and received two points apiece from Jonzzon (G, A), D Nick Ebert (G, A) and F Nick Sorkin (2 A), but still came up one goal short Dec. 29 in Youngstown. Goaltender Motte, who has won all three of his starts since, stopped only 20 of 24 Phantoms shots in the loss.
UPCOMING PHANTOMS GAMES (ALL TIMES EASTERN)
Friday, January 22 at 8:05 p.m. @ WATERLOO
Saturday, January 23 at 8:05 p.m. @ CEDAR RAPIDS
Friday, January 29 at 7:15 p.m. vs. SIOUX FALLS - Hockey Across America Night / Celebrate the great sport of hockey with Tyler Kennedy of the Pittsburgh Penguins, who will be appearing from 5-7 p.m. Anyone wearing hockey apparel can buy a half-priced ticket to meet the Stanley Cup champion forward, then enjoy the Phantoms' showdown with Sioux Falls!
Sunday, January 31 at 3 p.m. vs. SIOUX FALLS - Family Day / The Phantoms offer four tickets for just $20 for this special early start time. Meet SpongeBob SquarePants during the game, and then jump onto the Covelli Centre ice after the contest for a post-game skate with Phantoms players!
CATCH PHANTOMS PHEVER!
Phantoms Phever, presented by House of Speed, is an hour-long weekly talk show that brings you an inside look at your Youngstown Phantoms. Join Voice of the Phantoms Matt Gajtka at Jeremiah Bullfrog's Sports Bar & Grille on US Route 224 in Boardman as he chats with coaches, players and front office staff about northeast Ohio's most exciting team and the great sport of hockey. Catch Phantoms Phever Tuesdays at 6 p.m. on Youngstown's ESPN Radio 1240 AM and online at www.wbbw.com!
FOLLOW THE PHANTOMS ALL SEASON LONG
ESPN 1240 is also the exclusive radio home for the Youngstown Phantoms! Gajtka has the call from all 60 Phantoms regular season games as they roll through their first-ever campaign in the Tier I United States Hockey League. Hockey nuts outside the listening area can log onto www.wbbw.com to utilize the "Listen Live" feature! Fans may also purchase the Phantoms season pass at www.b2tv.com to watch and listen via the B2 Networks' multimedia game broadcasts.
Also, make "Youngstown Phantoms" your friend on Facebook and follow "ytownphantoms" on Twitter to stay plugged into the Phantoms 24 hours a day, seven days a week!
United States Hockey League Stories from January 21, 2010
- B2 Party Tomorrow Night - Sioux City Musketeers
- Stampede Acquire 6-7 Defenseman Oleksiak From Chicago - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Ice Home For Two This Weekend - Indiana Ice
- Hawks, OPU Boost River Hills - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Rogger Named To All Star Coaching Staff - Green Bay Gamblers
- Countdown To Puck Drop: Phantoms At Waterloo - Youngstown Phantoms
- Dubuque USHL Hockey Team to Unveil Name - Dubuque Fighting Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.