66ers Top Flash At Showcase For Fourth StraightJanuary 5, 2010 - NBA Development League (D-League) - Tulsa 66ers Press Release
"This was one of the grind-it-out games, and we were able to make some plays down the stretch," 66ers Head Coach Nate Tibbetts said.
Tulsa jumped out in the first quarter with a 12-4 run, as Shakur stole a pass and went the length of the court for a dunk. The Flash battled back, shooting 10-for-17, as Dontell Jefferson scored six points in the period and took a 25-23 edge heading into the second quarter.
Utah led by as many as nine points in the second quarter, after a Carlos Wheeler lay-up and free throw with 7:37 left in the first half. But the 66ers outscored the Flash 21-10 the remainder of the half, and took a 48-46 lead into halftime. Both Cecil Brown and White led the 66ers with six points each in the quarter, as the 66ers shot 69 percent from the field (9-13).
Both teams battled in a back-and-forth third quarter, with six lead changes. Even with the 66ers shooting 39 percent in the period, two Larry Owens free throws, and one by Shakur gave Tulsa a 71-69 advantage into the final quarter.
The 66ers came out in the fourth quarter shooting much better, hitting 10-of-16 from the field. Shakur scored 12 points in the final quarter, and with driving layup with 47 seconds left in regulation that pushed their lead to five at 99-94, the 66ers held on for the win.
Led by Shakur and White, the 66ers (10-6) finished with five players in double-figures. Owens had 14 points and five rebounds, while Brown added 14 points off the bench. Ehambe finished with 11 points.
"I think at the beginning of the game, I was a little bit too aggressive, and I needed to relax and just set the table for my teammates," said Shakur, who ranks sixth in the NBA D-League in assists at 6.6 apg. "That opened up some things for me as the game went on and I was able to take advantage."
Dontell Jefferson, led Utah with 21 points. Carlos Wheeler added 18 points for the Flash, which dropped to 8-7.
Both teams return to action Thursday, with Tulsa taking on Albuquerque at noon CST live on NBA TV, and Utah squaring off against Fort Wayne.
NBA Development League Stories from January 5, 2010
- Dakota Defeats Springfield At 2010 NBA D-League Showcase - D-League
- Energy Overpower Austin At 2010 NBA D-League Showcase - Iowa Energy
- Iowa Overpowers Austin At 2010 NBA D-League Showcase - D-League
- 66ers Top Flash At Showcase For Fourth Straight - Tulsa 66ers
- Tulsa Hangs On Against Utah At 2010 NBA D-League Showcase - D-League
- Tulsa Hangs On Against Utah At 2010 NBA D-League Showcase - Utah Flash
- Fw: Sioux Falls Downs Maine At 2010 NBA D-League Showcase - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Sundiata Gaines Called-Up To Utah Jazz - Idaho Stampede
- Sioux Falls Downs Maine At 2010 NBA D-League Showcase - D-League
- Idaho's Gaines Called-Up To Utah Jazz - D-League
- BayHawks Set To Hit National TV - Erie BayHawks
- 32 Years Later, Elvis Finally Makes Is To Maine - Maine Red Claws
- NBA D-League Daily Developments - D-League
- Jam Acquires Daniels, Releases Hawkins - Bakersfield Jam
- Idaho Tops Springfield At 2010 NBA D-League Showcase - D-League
- Idaho Tops Springfield At 2010 NBA D-League Showcase - Idaho Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.