Sounders FC News & NotesDecember 22, 2009 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Seattle Sounders FC
Brad Evans has been invited to the U.S. National Team annual winter training camp, to be held in Carson, California, beginning January 4. Evans, 24, is one of 30 mostly domestic-based players being called to U.S. Soccer's National Training Center at The Home Depot Center.
Evans, a regular midfield starter for Seattle in 2009, earned his first three international caps during last summer's Gold Cup, starting one match and coming off the bench in two others.
After being selected by Seattle in the expansion draft, Evans played in 27 games, starting 25, despite being absent for a month during his Gold Cup call-in. He scored three goals and added two assists.
The training camp will conclude on January 23 with the U.S. hosting Honduras at The Home Depot Center in a friendly matchup of two World Cup-bound teams. The match will be broadcast live on Fox Soccer Channel and Galavision beginning at 4 p.m. PT.
The USMNT has qualified for its sixth successive World Cup finals, and will face England in its opening match on June 12 in Rustenburg, South Africa.
La Manga Opener Set
Seattle Sounders FC will face Norwegian champion Rosenborg BK in the opening Group A match at the La Manga Cup on February 18. Sounders FC will face either Denmark's FC Norsjalland or Norway's Stabak on February 21. The tournament concludes with crossover matches to determine final placement on February 25 and 26.
Group B consists of SK Brann (Norway), FC Krylia Sovetov (Russia), FC Midtjylland (Denmark) and Molde FK (Norway). Norway and Russia, like MLS, commence league play in March. Denmark's first division will resume in March following its winter break.
A total of 62 players participated in the Sounders FC invitational tryout in Las Vegas from December 18-20.
Said technical director Chris Henderson: "We were able to watch some pretty good soccer over the three days. Sixteen of the players were invited to the MLS Combine, and we also got a good look at some guys who might be under the radar."
Sounders FC will pick 11th in the MLS SuperDraft on January 14 in Philadelphia. Seattle also owns picks in the second (27th overall) and fourth (59th overall) rounds.
Henderson said the next two weeks will be spent making final preparations for the combine and draft.
Montero Picks Up Award
Fredy Montero was presented the Breakout Athlete of the Year by Fox Pan American Sports LLC during its Premios Fox Sports event held December 10 in Hollywood, Florida. Montero scored 12 goals for Seattle in his first MLS season and was named the league's Newcomer of the Year.
Premios Fox Sports honors the contributions and accomplishments of U.S. Hispanic and Latin American athletes and personalities from the world of sports, both on and off the field. The event was telecast live to more than 26 million households in the United States and Latin America.
Support Seattle's Candidacy to Host World Cup Matches
Fans can lend their support to Seattle and the United States' bid to host the FIFA World Cup in 2018 or 2022. Seattle is one of 27 cities under consideration to host games, with both Qwest Field and Husky Stadium listed as potential venues. The online petition for Seattle is available at http://www.gousabid.com/city/local/seattle-wa/.
Kasey Keller raised the 12th Man Flag prior to last Sunday's NFL game between the Seattle Seahawks and Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Qwest Field...Hope Solo was named the 2009 U.S. Soccer Female Athlete of the Year. Solo, an All-American at the University of Washington, is the first keeper to win the award. Landon Donovan won the male athlete of the year award for a third time, tying him with Keller...Seattle's Fado Irish Pub became the first establishment west of Chicago to win the U.S. Soccer Best Soccer Bar.
Major League Soccer Stories from December 22, 2009
- Crew Trio Called In To U.S. National Team Camp - Columbus Crew
- MLS Signs Collegiate Seniors Akpan, Loyd And Stahl - MLS
- Temporary Stadium Confirmed For PNE Site - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Three Kansas City Wizards Players Called To National Teams - Sporting Kansas City
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- RSL's Kyle Beckerman, Robbie Findley & Nick Rimando Named To U.S. Men's National Team Camp Roster - Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA's Bornstein, Braun, Kljestan And Thornton Named To U.S. National Team's January Training - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Rapids Conor Casey Called Into U.S. National Team Training Camp Beginning January 4 - Colorado Rapids
- Revolution Duo Headed To U.S. National Team Camp - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes Defender Brandon McDonald Named To National Team Pool For January Camp - San Jose Earthquakes
- Dynamo's Cameron, Davis Called Into January U.S. National Team Camp - Houston Dynamo
- D.C. United's Chris Pontius Earns First-Ever U.S Men's National Team Call-Up - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.