Trenton Devils Acquire Brett Wilson And John WessbeckerOctober 27, 2009 - ECHL (ECHL) - Trenton Devils
Wilson was acquired in a trade with the ECHL's Las Vegas Wranglers. The Calgary, Alberta native spent the last four years with Princeton University (ECAC), where he recorded 46 career goals and 60 career assists in 127 games. Only the 13th player in school history to reach 100 career points, Wilson's mark of 107 points ranks him tenth in Tigers' history. Wilson was a two-time second-team All-Ivy selection (2007-08, 2008-09) and second-team All-ECAC in his junior year. In his first season at Princeton, Wilson was named to the ECAC's All-Rookie team and received the Hobey Baker Trophy as the Tigers' top freshman.
Prior to attending Princeton University, Wilson spent three seasons with the Calgary Royals of the AJHL. In his final season with Calgary (2004-05), Wilson was the league's MVP and scoring champion, netting 98 points (40g, 58a) in 64 games.
A left-handed shooter, Wilson stands 6 feet tall, weighs 180 pounds, and turned 24 years old October 5.
Wessbecker signed a contract with the Devils, having participated in training camps with the Houston Aeros of the AHL and the Florida Everblades of the ECHL. The defenseman from Victoria, Minnesota was selected by the Tampa Bay Lighting in the seventh round of the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, 225th overall. Wessbecker skated for the UMASS Minutemen from 2005 to 2009, and, in all four seasons, was named to the Hockey East All-Academic Team, earning Distinguish Scholar honors for having a GPA of 3.0 or higher. Wessbecker accumulated 80 career penalty minutes and recorded 12 career points (2g, 10a) in 123 games.
Wessbecker shoots right, stands 6 feet, 2 inches tall, weighs 195 pounds, and turned 23 years old September 15.
The Trenton Devils host the Wheeling Nailers October 28 and the Johnstown Chiefs October 30; both games start at 7 p.m. Tickets are available by calling (609) 599-9500 or by visiting TrentonDevils.com. Live audio and video broadcasts of every game may be accessed through TrentonDevils.com, courtesy B2 Networks.
ECHL Stories from October 27, 2009
- Bolt reassigned, Potter added - Bakersfield Condors
- Salmon Kings Sign Jay Henderson - Victoria Salmon Kings
- King Of Pop Tribute Night In Condorstown This Friday - Bakersfield Condors
- Trenton Devils Acquire Brett Wilson And John Wessbecker - Trenton Devils
- Lammers Named ECHL Player Of The Week, Headed To AHL - Alaska Aces
- Salmon Kings Trade Yannick Tifu - Victoria Salmon Kings
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Jackals Acquire Tifu From Salmon Kings - Elmira Jackals
- Alaska's Lammers Named Sher-Wood Hockey ECHL Player Of The Week - ECHL
- ECHL Sees Increase In Attendance - ECHL
- K-Wings' Nie Named Reebok Hockey ECHL Goaltender Of The Week - ECHL
- Checkers Add 'Canes Photographer To Staff - Charlotte Checkers
- Wings Stadium To Host Spooky Skate This Friday - Kalamazoo Wings
- Nie Earns Honor - Kalamazoo Wings
- Charlotte's Slattengren Suspended One Game - ECHL
- Florida Organization Fined - ECHL
- Stingrays Receive Dubuc And Wellar From Hershey - South Carolina Stingrays
- Everblades Report - Florida Everblades
- Marshall Recalled To Monsters; Lawrence Added - Charlotte Checkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.