Admirals Add Toughness with Veteran Mitch FritzOctober 2, 2009 - American Hockey League (AHL) Norfolk Admirals
Fritz, a 6-foot-7, 242-pound forward from Osoyoos, British Columbia, has 1,459 penalty minutes in 474 career professional games. He split last season between the NHL's New York Islanders and AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The 29-year-old veteran of nine professional seasons made his NHL debut with the Islanders last season, appearing in 20 games with no points and 42 penalty minutes. In 36 games with Bridgeport, Fritz had two assists and 58 penalty minutes.
Fritz has appeared in 270 career American Hockey League games between the Lowell Lock Monsters, Hamilton Bulldogs, Saint John Flames, Milwaukee Admirals, Worcester IceCats, Springfield Falcons, Hartford Wolf Pack and Bridgeport Sound Tigers. In those games, he has recorded 11 goals and 15 assists with 761 penalty minutes. Fritz won the 2005-06 American Hockey League Yanick Dupree Memorial Award as AHL Man of the Year for community involvement.
The Admirals open the regular season on the road with a game against the defending Calder Cup Champion Hershey Bears in Hershey tomorrow night.
The Admirals open the home portion of their season on Friday and Saturday, October 9 and 10, against the Manchester Monarchs. Friday night is Military Appreciation Night with $9 tickets for individuals and $8 tickets for groups with valid ID. For complete details, please visit norfolkadmirals.com.
Don't miss a minute of the action by purchasing your 2009-10 season tickets today. Stop by the Admirals' Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com anytime!
American Hockey League Stories from October 2, 2009
- Rampage Defeat Texas 3-2 in Home Opener - San Antonio Rampage
- Aeros Fall to Moose 4-3 On Opening Night - Houston Aeros
- Texas Edged By San Antonio In Season Opener 3-2 - Texas Stars
- Aeros Announce 1070 KNTH As Flagship Station - Houston Aeros
- Moose name captain, assistant captains for 09-10 - Manitoba Moose
- Sharks Recall Forward Frazer McLaren and Reassign Jamie McGinn - Worcester Sharks
- Flyers Send Teslak Back To Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- H-E-B Partners With Vipers To Create Pep Band - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Hamilton Bulldogs Sign Forward Maxime Lacroix - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Marlies Announce 2009-10 Opening Day Roster - Toronto Marlies
- Griffins' 14th Season Starts Saturday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Finalize Opening Night Roster - Norfolk Admirals
- Admirals Sign Four, Release Two in Preparation for Tomorrow's Season Opener - Norfolk Admirals
- Follow the Crunch on Twitter for a Chance to Win a VIP Meet and Greet with Ralph Macchio - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Name Team Captains For 09-10 Season - Springfield Falcons
- AHL's 74th season set to begin tonight - AHL
- Amerks And The Distillery To Whet Fans' Appetites For Food And Hockey - Rochester Americans
- Amerks Re-Launch Website - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Add Toughness with Veteran Mitch Fritz - Norfolk Admirals
- Texas Announces Opening Day Roster - Texas Stars
- Rampage Announce Opening Night Roster - San Antonio Rampage
- Bears announce opening night roster - Hershey Bears
- Worcester Sharks Announce Opening Night Roster - Worcester Sharks
- Marlies Invite All To Experience Canada's Game - Toronto Marlies
- Sound Tigers Set Opening Night Roster - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.