Former Pelican Back in the BigsSeptember 2, 2009 - American Association (AA) - Pensacola Pelicans
Edwar Ramirez pitched for the Pensacola Pelicans in 2005. Ramirez was lights-out on the mound, pitching to a 1.45 ERA with opponents batting .170 against him. He struck out 93 in 62 innings, and picked up 11 saves. The 2005 Pelicans advanced to the divisional playoffs of the Central League, losing in the best-of-five series to the Fort Worth Cats.
The 2009 Pelicans have returned to the playoffs for the first time since 2005, and currently lead the Fort Worth Cats 1-0 in the best-of-five South Division Championship Series. The Cats have won two titles in the four-year-old American Association, but the Pelicans, in their first American Association playoff appearance, shutout the Cats 7-0 Tuesday night. The Pelicans will host game three on Friday, with tickets available at www.pensacolapelicans.com, via phone at (850) 934-8444, or in person at the Box Office at Pelican Park.
Ramirez started 2009 pitching for New York. He actually posted a lower ERA in May than he did in April, but was sent to triple-A after 15 appearances. In 29 games with triple-A Scranton, Ramirez posted a 3.18 ERA and struck out 62 batters while walking just 16 in 51 innings of work. Ramirez and the Yankees will play the Baltimore Orioles September 2 at 6:05 p.m. Central Time.
Ramirez made his major league debut with the Yankees in 2007. In 21 games Ramirez struck out 31 batters. Opposing hitters batted .286 against Ramirez in his first stint in the major leagues.
After starting the 2008 season with triple-A Scranton, Ramirez returned to the Yankees after 8 games. The former Pelican made good in the bigs, posting a 5-1 record with a 3.90 ERA. Ramirez recorded 63 strikeouts in 55 and one third innings of work.
American Association Stories from September 2, 2009
- Blair, Cats even series with 8-2 win - Fort Worth Cats
- September 2 Playoff Recap - AA
- Paduch Fans Ten As Dogs Even Playoff Series - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saltdogs Even Series on Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- Former Pelican Back in the Bigs - Pensacola Pelicans
- Heard wins Rookie Pitcher of the Year honors - Shreveport-Bossier Captains
- Chase Burch Named Rookie of the Year - Pensacola Pelicans
- Burch, Heard American Association Rookies of the Year - AA
- North Division Series Game Two Preview - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.