Whitecaps slip past Lugnuts, 5-4August 24, 2009 - Midwest League (MWL) Lansing Lugnuts
Trailing 3-0 entering the seventh inning, Lansing had deadlocked the score on Mike McDade's two-run homer and A.J. Jimenez's RBI double.
In the top of the eighth inning, however, the Whitecaps quickly put a pair of runners on base against Roenicke (1-5). Mike Gosse's attempt at a sacrifice bunt bounced back to the mound, and the Lugnuts reliever threw toward third base to force lead runner Ben Guez. The throw was too low, eluding Balbino Fuenmayor and scoring Guez for a 4-3 West Michigan lead. Luis Palacios added an RBI single three batters later, putting the Whitecaps on top by two.
In the bottom of the ninth, Fuenmayor's two-out homer off of Tyler Stohr trimmed the deficit to 5-4. Pinch-hitter Justin McClanahan reached base due to catcher's interference, putting the tying run aboard. Stohr bore down, striking out Jimenez to end the game.
Brandon Hamilton (5-4) picked up the win in relief of Rob Waite, who twirled six shutout innings in a spot-start.
Lansing starter Chase Lirette battled through six innings, scattering nine hits and three runs while striking out three.
The second game of the four-game series will be played on a Dollar Dog Tuesday at 7:05 p.m. at Oldsmobile Park, with Lansing right-hander Chad Beck (6-7, 5.80) opposing West Michigan northpaw Luke Putkonen (7-8, 3.40).
Midwest League Stories from August 24, 2009
- Cougars win homestand opener in 10 - Kane County Cougars
- Whitecaps slip past Lugnuts, 5-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Griffin drives in four in Bees victory - Burlington Bees
- Castro Escapes Trouble in 5-1 Win over Loons - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Townsend delivers two-run single as Kernels win, 4-3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- That Stings: Bees strike out 15 Rattlers in 5-1 win - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps outlast Lugnuts in opener - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Chiefs shut out River Bandits 2-0 Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Singles add up to Hawks win - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Big inning lifts South Bend to win in series opener - Dayton Dragons
- Whitecaps to welcome trio of '84 Tigers - West Michigan Whitecaps
- TinCaps Sweep Weekly Awards, Castro Wins Pitcher of the Week Honors - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- "Van Down by the River" Chosen as Finalist for Promotional Award - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Gameday August 24th - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.