Jaxx add former National's reliever, catcher in tradeJune 12, 2009 - Southern League (SL) - Jackson Generals Press Release
RHP Steven Shell was drafted straight out of high school in the 3rd round of the 2001 amateur draft by the Anaheim Angels. Shell pitched in the Angels organization from 2001-2007. He became a minor league free agent after the 2007 season and signed a minor league contract with the Washington Nationals. On July 11, 2008, he set the Nationals' record for the longest save in club history. He pitched 3 scoreless innings against the Astros to get the record as well as his first career save. On April 29, 2009 Shell refused a minor league assigment and became a free agent. On May 2, Shell signed a minor league deal with the Seattle Mariners.
C Colt Morton was traded to the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx on June 11th. He is 27 years old and born in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Morton comes from Lake Elsinore, Class High-A in the California League. Morton has played in one game with the San Diego Padres in 2007 and nine games in 2008. He collected 16 at bats, one hit and one RBI.
Southern League Stories from June 12, 2009
- Stars Survive Slow Start and Rain to Sink Suns - Huntsville Stars
- Stars Outlast Suns to Even Series - Huntsville Stars
- Smokies Hold off Late Threats to Beat BayBears - Mobile BayBears
- Wood pitches Mudcats to shutout win over Jaxx - Jackson Generals
- Coleman Drives Tennessee to Win, 5-3 - Tennessee Smokies
- Barons Best Braves - Mississippi Braves
- Mudcats Shutout Diamond Jaxx - Carolina Mudcats
- White Sox to Hold Tryout at Regions Park - Birmingham Barons
- Hand, Anderson Rejoin Huntsville - Huntsville Stars
- Barons Schedule Double-Header for Friday, June 19 - Birmingham Barons
- Biscuits Let The Dogs In On Sunday - Montgomery Biscuits
- Suns Make Moves - Jacksonville Suns
- Jaxx add former National's reliever, catcher in trade - Jackson Generals
- Jaxx add former first rounder, David Espinosa to roster - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.