Hits Come in Bunches in Drive's 9-1 Win Over LegendsJune 6, 2009 - South Atlantic League (SAL) - Greenville Drive
Although he lasted just 1-2/3 innings and did not factor into the decision, it was a huge step forward for Hagadone who made only three starts in 2008. The left-hander allowed a hit and walk, while fanning two in his scoreless inning, before giving way to Caleb Clay (2-2).
The Drive disposed of Legends' starting pitcher Brad Dydalewicz (3-1) after just 2-1/3 innings, plating six runs off the right-hander. Following a David Mailman single to leadoff the game, Rizzo belted a third-pitch offering for his seventh homer of the season. Kade Keowen added an RBI-single to spot Greenville a three-run lead after an inning of play.
The runs and hits kept coming in the second inning as Rizzo delivered a two-out, two-run double to score Zach Gentile and Mailman. In the third, the Drive took a 7-0 lead as Ryan Dent laced an RBI-double and later scored on a wild pitch.
Greenville closed out their scoring in the top of the sixth when an error on a grounder by Rizzo allowed two runs to score.
Following Hagadone, Clay limited the Legends to three hits and a walk with a strikeout over 4-1/3 scoreless innings. Leonardo Marin pitched in with two scoreless innings, allowing a hit and a walk.
It wasn't until Mitch Herold entered in the bottom of the ninth that the Legends were able to score, denying the Drive of their seventh shutout of the season. Brandon Barnes tallied a one-out triple, and scored as Kyle Miller followed with a single.
The Drive and Legends will play the rubber match of their three-game series Sunday with first pitch set for 2:05 PM. Right-hander Stolmy Pimentel (3-3, 2.09 ERA) takes the ball and heads to the mound for Greenville as Lexington counters with right-hander Ross Seaton (6-4, 2.44 ERA)
The Drive return home to Fluor Field on Thursday, June 11th when they host the Asheville Tourists for two games, followed by a three-game set with the Hot Rods. For more information on single-game tickets, ticket plans, group outings, luxury accommodations, visit www.GreenvilleDrive.com or call (864) 240-4500.
South Atlantic League Stories from June 6, 2009
- Power splits doubleheader - West Virginia Power
- Jackets Erase Early Deficit, Win 8-6 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Intimidators and Power split wacky doubleheader - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Crawdads power past Grasshoppers, 5-2 - Hickory Crawdads
- Hits Come in Bunches in Drive's 9-1 Win Over Legends - Greenville Drive
- BlueClaws Battle; Beat Shorebirds - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Drive opens early lead, defeats Legends 9-1 - Lexington Legends
- Suns grab long-awaited 3-1 win after falling, 5-1 in suspended game - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs Tomahawk Braves, 7-6, in Battle for First - Charleston RiverDogs
- Moore Dazzles, Velasquez Delivers For Hot Rods - Asheville Tourists
- Lefty's best start aided by Hot Rods first grand slam in 2009 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Shorebirds Hold on for Victory - Lakewood BlueClaws
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.