Mexican national team calls up Blanco for World Cup qualifyingMay 15, 2009 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Chicago Fire
Blanco has appeared in World Cup Qualifying matches for each of Mexico's last three World Cups, scoring nine goals. Blanco has also represented Mexico in two of the last three World Cups (1998, 2006) scoring two goals through eight games played.
"The national team manager is giving me another opportunity, and as I've said before, if I were called up, I'd be there," said Blanco. "Today I'm given the opportunity to again be with the national team, and we have to do things right so the Mexican national team heads to the World Cup."
The Fire are on a three game road stand, next facing Toronto FC on (May 16), New York Red Bulls (May 24), and Chivas USA (May 28). The Fire return home for their match against FC Dallas on May 31 (2 p.m. CT, My50, TeleFutura). Tickets are available by calling 888-MLS-FIRE, visiting the TOYOTA PARK box, or clicking on the TICKETS section of the club's official website, www.chicago-fire.com.
ABOUT CHICAGO FIRE SOCCER
Chicago Fire Soccer was founded on October 8, 1997 as a Major League Soccer expansion team. The Fire won the MLS Cup in its inaugural season in 1998 and was crowned the champion of U.S. Soccer's national tournament, the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, in 1998, 2000, 2003 and 2006. In June 2006, the Fire moved into its world-class home of TOYOTA PARK, located in Bridgeview, IL, located just 15 minutes from downtown Chicago off of I-55 and I-294.
ABOUT TOYOTA PARK
Located 15 minutes from downtown Chicago and minutes from Midway airport off of I-55 on Harlem Avenue, TOYOTA PARK is the Midwest's preeminent outdoor live entertainment and sporting facility. Opened in 2006, TOYOTA PARK not only serves as the home of the Chicago Fire, but also hosts a variety of sporting events, special events, and concerts by national and international artists. In 2009, artists ranging from Jimmy Buffett to Phish will perform live at TOYOTA PARK.
Major League Soccer Stories from May 15, 2009
- Mexican national team calls up Blanco for World Cup qualifying - Chicago Fire
- Major League Soccer Disciplinary Committee Suspends and Fines San Jose Earthquakes Defender Aaron Pi - MLS
- Whitecaps First Doubleheader This Saturday - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- MLS Futbolito to Kick Off in New York on June 6 - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas Seek Fans to Film Public Service Announcement - FC Dallas
- Fire to Kick Off Team's Community Soccer Series May 21 - Chicago Fire
- The Official 4-v-4 Soccer Tournament of Major League Soccer, Returns This Summer With 13 Events Acro - MLS
- USA, Ireland Name Squads for Setanta Challenge Cup - San Jose Earthquakes
- Fire Announce 2009 SuperLiga Games and Teams - Chicago Fire
- Wizards Make First-Ever Trip to Rio Tinto Stadium to Face Real Salt Lake - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Gameday Preview: Saturday, May 16 v. K.C. Wizards - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.