Barthmaier Honored as Top Tribe Player in JuneJuly 3, 2008 - International League (IL) - Indianapolis Indians Press Release
Barthmaier went 1-1 with a 2.92 ERA over four starts in June. He allowed just five walks, 19 hits and a .213 batting average while striking out 25 in 24.2 innings.
During the month, Barthmaier led all Indians starters in ERA, strikeouts, batting average against, WHIP (0.97) and strikeout-to-walk ratio (5-to-1) while ranking second in innings pitched.
"Jimmy did a real nice job for us during the month of June," Tribe Manager Trent Jewett says. "Jimmy's fastball is exceptionally heavy, and it has presence. Jimmy's breaking ball has a good late bite, and good depth. He knows how to use it. What I have seen through six starts is a guy with good stuff."
Barthmaier owns a 2-1 record and 3.28 ERA in six Triple-A starts this season. He has allowed just 28 hits and a .222 BA while striking out 31 in 35.2 innings.
He yielded just two runs in seven innings to win his Triple-A debut on May 30 against division rival Toledo.
"Jimmy can throw both of his pitches for strikes," Jewett adds. "Once he learns to trust the change-up, it will enhance the fastball. Jimmy has done a nice job in his first six outings, especially with everything he's gone through. I think he's handled the circumstances well, and I'm looking forward to seeing him pitch more."
The 25-year-old began his career in the Houston organization after being drafted by the Astros in the 13th round of the 2003 draft. He was claimed off waivers by Pittsburgh on Nov. 20.
Barthmaier was recognized as the No. 4 prospect in Houston organization prior to the 2007 campaign. The Atlanta native entered the 2008 season with a 30-27 record and 3.67 ERA in 98 Minor League appearances.
Barthmaier is scheduled to start for the Indians on Monday against Columbus.
International League Stories from July 3, 2008
- Indians drop wild affair - Indianapolis Indians
- Norfolk rally falls short - Norfolk Tides
- Barker Makes History as Bats Roll Over Indians 12-11 - Louisville Bats
- Bulls drop final game of homestand - Durham Bulls
- Tribe and Lilly combine for charity - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Notes - Buffalo Bisons
- Barthmaier Honored as Top Tribe Player in June - Indianapolis Indians
- International League News and Notes - IL
- Indians Return To Victory Field On Friday - Indianapolis Indians
- Christian an All-Star - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- McCutchen headed to All-Star Futures Game - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.