Ishikawa PromotedJune 20, 2008 - Eastern League (EL) Connecticut Defenders
Ishikawa hit .291 with 8 home runs and 48 RBIs in 64 games for the Defenders. In addition, he led the team in slugging percentage at .462 and was second in on-base percentage at .382.
Ishikawa also won some accolade while spending time in the Eastern League as he was named the Bank of America Player of the Week for the week ending on June 8. During a six game span, Ishikawa hit an impressive .455, belted three homers, stole three bases and drove in nine runs as he slugged 1.091.
Though this will mark the first time Ishikawa has risen to Triple-A, he has been promoted to the big league club once before. During the 2006 campaign, Ishikawa spent 12 games with the Giants where he went 7-for-24 (.292) with three doubles a triple and four runs batted in.
Ishikawa's tools on the field will be greatly missed but his character far surpassed what he did on the diamond. An excellent teammate and silent leader, Ishikawa will certainly make an impact with the Fresno Grizzlies.
The promotion is the second in the past ten days as right-handed relief pitcher Steve Palazzolo was pushed up to Triple-A recently.
The Defenders begin a seven game home-stand tonight at Dodd Stadium. A weekend series vs. the New Britain Rock Cats and a four game series starting Monday vs. the Portland Sea Dogs. For more information or to purchase tickets call the Defenders at (860)-887-7962 or visit www.ctdefenders.com.
Eastern League Stories from June 20, 2008
- Baysox offensive falls short in loss - Bowie Baysox
- Mets topple Thunder - Trenton Thunder
- B-Mets pull into second with victory - Binghamton Mets
- Arencibia, Mathews hit 3-run HRs in 6-1 win over Sea Dogs - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Senators rally to trump Erie - Harrisburg Senators
- Curve sneak out 2-1 victory - Altoona Curve
- 'Dogs drop opener - Portland Sea Dogs
- Defenders win pitcher's duel - Connecticut Defenders
- SeaWolves can't make early lead stand up - Erie SeaWolves
- Cannistra Gets the Call to New York - Connecticut Defenders
- Boomer Attending Troop Supply Drive June 28 - Trenton Thunder
- Erie SeaWolves at Harrisburg Senators...Game One of Three...Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Ishikawa Promoted - Connecticut Defenders
- Aeros Notes - Akron Aeros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.