Romine, Olbrychowski Activated from RiverDogs DLMay 22, 2008 - South Atlantic League (SAL) - Charleston RiverDogs
Today's roster moves, combined with the return of infielder Brandon Laird and reliever Ryan Zink earlier in the week, help the second-place RiverDogs get closer to full-strength. After coming into the week with eight players who have seen action for Charleston this season on the disabled list, now only four remain inactive.
Romine makes his return to the RiverDogs lineup after missing 27 games with a lower-body injury. The 22nd overall prospect in the Yankees organization, according to Baseball America, got off to a slow start this season but then caught fire posting a seven-game hitting streak from April 12 through April 21 with six consecutive multi-hit efforts. The Lake Forest, Calif. native is hitting .351 with six RBI and eight runs scored in his first South Atlantic League season.
Olbrychowski was placed on the DL on May 7, retroactive to May 5, with an upper-body injury. The Calabasas, Calif. native has made six starts for Charleston this season, registering a 2-2 record with a 3.94 ERA. He notched his second win of the season in the last outing before his injury, allowing just two runs on three hits in 7.0 innings pitched with no walks and a season-high seven strikeouts in an 8-2 RiverDogs victory over Hickory on May 3.
Cox, who joined the RiverDogs from the Gulf Coast Yankees roster on April 23, appeared in nine games, seeing action at third base, shortstop, second base, and designated hitter. The former University of Washington standout was hitting .200 (3-for-15) with one RBI and one run scored.
Medina rejoined Charleston for the second time this season from the Staten Island roster on May 7, allowing two runs and seven hits over 6.0 innings of work in three appearances. The Maracaibo, Venezuela native had an 0-0 record with a 5.27 ERA this season, surrendering 22 hits and 13 runs in 13.2 innings on the mound.
South Atlantic League Stories from May 22, 2008
- Drive Can't Catch a Break, Lose 5-2 - Greenville Drive
- Dominguez Does His Part - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- 'Birds Walk Past I's, 5-4 - Delmarva Shorebirds
- BlueClaws hang on for 5-4 win over Greensboro - Lakewood BlueClaws
- The Duke puts Hickory back in the saddle, 2-1 - Hickory Crawdads
- Jackets Blanked By Savannah - Augusta GreenJackets
- Suns scorch Legends 7-2 - Hagerstown Suns
- Romine, Olbrychowski Activated from RiverDogs DL - Charleston RiverDogs
- Power Pitching Stops Captains - Lake County Captains
- Power Finish Strong in 5-1 Win - West Virginia Power
- Greensboro Game Notes - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Rome Makes Roster Move - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.