Sound Tigers NewsDecember 26, 2006 - American Hockey League (AHL) Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The week ahead: After playing the Hershey Bears the day after Christmas, the Sound Tigers host the rival Hartford Wolf Pack Friday, Dec. 29. at 7:30 p.m. The Sound Tigers visit Springfield on Saturday and host Albany on Sunday, New Year's Eve, at 3 p.m.
In the standings: The Sound Tigers have a record of 13-12-1-3 and are in fifth place in the East Division, two points behind fourth-place Albany.
Dramatic win: Frans Nielsen won Saturday's game against Manchester, on the power play, with just 6.5 seconds remaining in OT. The goal came moments after Steve Regier hit the post. Regier and Blake Comeau assisted the goal. Regier and Comeau both had two assists in the win.
Hot hand: Nielsen extended his goal-scoring streak to three games with Saturday's tally.
Still making a killing: The Sound Tigers are tops in the league in penalty killing (90 percent). The penalty kill has been tested by some of the league's best during the past couple of weeks. Including the game against Hershey on Tuesday, each of Bridgeport's last six contests have been against teams with power plays among the top six in the league.
Busy holiday season: The Sound Tigers are in the midst of six games in 10 days, including four on home ice.
Polar Bears: The Connecticut Polar Bears were to hold Opening Ceremonies for the 22nd Annual Polar Bears Girls' Ice Hockey Tournament, the largest girls' tourney in the world, with the Sound Tigers prior to Tuesday's game. Notable special guest Angela Ruggiero, 1998 U.S. Olympic Gold Medalist, was scheduled to make an appearance. She was the first woman non-goalie to play professional men's hockey in North America, suiting up for the Tulsa Oilers alongside her brother, Bill, and also earning a place in the Hockey Hall of Fame as the first brother-sister duo to play pro hockey together. Some 250 teams will compete in the annual tournament, which will feature teams from throughout North America.
Please sign here: Sound Tiger players stick around to sign shirts, photos and other memorabilia in the main concourse behind Section 103 after every home game.
Schedule and ticket information
For schedule and ticket information, including group discount opportunities, visit soundtigers.com or call 334-4625.
View or listen to the game
Hear Phil Giubileo call all the play-by-play by visiting soundtigers.com clicking on the listen to the game link. Fans may also watch the fast-paced action on the b2 Networks by visiting soundtigers.com and clicking on the b2 link on the far right side of the main Web page.
American Hockey League Stories from December 26, 2006
- Rampage rally falls short - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars win third straight - Iowa Chops
- Houston survives late goal - Houston Aeros
- Senators cruise past Crunch, 4-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Peoria Powers Past Griffins, 4-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolf Pack Recall Lee, Bahensky and Constant from Charlotte - Connecticut Whale
- Phantoms upend Penguins - Adirondack Phantoms
- Hershey Beats Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rivermen Power Through Grand Rapids 4-3 on the Road - Peoria Rivermen
- Bears back in first place after downing Bridgeport, 6-3 - Hershey Bears
- 'Dogs hold on to down Amerks - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Pair called up to New York - Connecticut Whale
- Hamilton Bulldogs weekly - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Phantoms week in review - Adirondack Phantoms
- Portland Pirates Weekly Report - Portland Pirates
- Rampage sign Ferraro, Paddock to PTO - San Antonio Rampage
- Admirals Keep Pace Near Top of Tight East Division Race - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers send Roy back to Bulldogs and recall Hejda - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rochester hosts Hamilton tonight - Rochester Americans
- Bears' Laing named CCM Vector/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Lowell Splits the Week - Albany Devils
- Rampage Week 12 Report - San Antonio Rampage
- Sound Tigers News - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monarchs Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Binghamton Senators weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Bears begin five games in six nights Tuesday - Hershey Bears
- Ellis Returns to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Flames Recall Regehr, Moss From Knights - Abbotsford Heat
- Worcester signs Prudden to Professional Tryout Agreement - Worcester Sharks
- Flames Send Ference, Germyn to Knights - Abbotsford Heat
- Aeros Gameday - Houston Aeros
- Sharks Look to Ring in New Year with "Bang" - Worcester Sharks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.