Lowell Splits the Week
Wednesday, Monarchs 3 vs. DEVILS 2
Manchester overcame an early deficit to take a 3-2 victory at the Tsongas Arena on Wednesday night. Justin Papineau scored both goals for the Devils, including the first of the game just 1:54 into the contest. His second of the game tied the score at 2-2 at 9:02 of the third, but just over two minutes later Manchester pushed back in front for good.
Saturday, Devils 2 vs. SHARKS 1, SO
Frank Doyle stopped 34 shots in regulation and was a perfect five-for-five in the shootout, helping lead the Devils to a 2-1 win in Worcester on Saturday night. Grant Marshall scored for the Devils in regulation and Stephen Gionta scored the only goal in the shootout - in the fifth and final round. Lowell improved to 2-0 in Worcester and 3-1-0-0 overall against the Sharks.
In the standings
The Devils stand at 16-13-2-1 on the season, and their 35 points in the standings is good for third place in the Atlantic Division. They sit just three points behind the division leading Portland Pirates and two points behind the second place Manchester Monarchs. The Devils have a two point lead over the Providence Bruins and Springfield Falcons, who sit tied for fourth place.
The Devils will return home on Wednesday, December 27th to host the Manchester Monarchs at 7:05 p.m. for Team Action Poster night. The first 2,500 fans will get a free poster, courtesy of Trinity Emergency Medical Service. For more information or to purchase tickets, call the Devils office at (978) 458-PUCK or log on to www.lowelldevilshockey.com.
The Devils then head out on the road for the first two of a four-game road trip, playing the Norfolk Admirals at 7:15 p.m. on Friday night and the Philadelphia Phantoms at 7:05 p.m. on Saturday. All Devils games, home and away, can be heard live on WCAP 980 AM, or online through B2 Networks at www.lowelldevilshockey.com, with the Voice of the Devils, Ryan Johnston.
Holiday Hat Tricks still available
It's never too late to fulfill the needs of the hockey fan in your life with the gift of Lowell Devils hockey. The Devils are offering the Holiday Hat Trick - get a ticket to three games during the second half of the season and a Devils hat "" for just $49.
Around the Horns
RW Dan LaCouture was returned on loan from the New Jersey Devils after their game Saturday night, and D Alex Brooks was recalled by New Jersey today.
Justin Papineau's two goals on Wednesday lifted him into a tie for the team lead in goals with 12 this season. Chris Minard also has 12 goals.
Minard and Papineau are the only Devils to have more than one multi-goal game this season. Papineau's two-goal effort on Wednesday marked the fifth consecutive game in which a Devils player had at least two goals.
Frank Doyle was perfect in the shootout in Worcester on Saturday, stopping all five Sharks shooters. Doyle, who ranks fifth in the AHL in minutes played and is tied for third with two shootout wins, has a .692 shootout save percentage.
The only team on the Devils schedule they have yet to play is Philadelphia, and they travel to Philly this weekend. Lowell was 1-1 against them in preseason action.
Leaders for Lowell:
Goals Minard, Papineau (12)
Assists Papineau (17)
Points Papineau (29)
PIM Voros (69)
Plus/Minus Papineau (+7)
Wins Doyle (10)
G.A.A. Doyle (2.53)
Save % Doyle (.915)
Wed 12/20 Manchester Monarchs 3 vs. DEVILS 2
Sat 12/23 Devils 2 @ WORCESTER SHARKS 1, SO
Wed 12/27 Manchester Monarchs @ DEVILS, 7:05 p.m., Tsongas Arena
Fri 12/29 Devils @ NORFOLK ADMIRALS, 7:15 p.m.
Sat 12/30 Devils @ PHILADELPHIA PHANTOMS, 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 26, 2006
- Rampage rally falls short - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars win third straight - Iowa Chops
- Houston survives late goal - Houston Aeros
- Senators cruise past Crunch, 4-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Peoria Powers Past Griffins, 4-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolf Pack Recall Lee, Bahensky and Constant from Charlotte - Connecticut Whale
- Phantoms upend Penguins - Adirondack Phantoms
- Hershey Beats Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rivermen Power Through Grand Rapids 4-3 on the Road - Peoria Rivermen
- Bears back in first place after downing Bridgeport, 6-3 - Hershey Bears
- 'Dogs hold on to down Amerks - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Pair called up to New York - Connecticut Whale
- Hamilton Bulldogs weekly - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Phantoms week in review - Adirondack Phantoms
- Portland Pirates Weekly Report - Portland Pirates
- Rampage sign Ferraro, Paddock to PTO - San Antonio Rampage
- Admirals Keep Pace Near Top of Tight East Division Race - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers send Roy back to Bulldogs and recall Hejda - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rochester hosts Hamilton tonight - Rochester Americans
- Bears' Laing named CCM Vector/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Lowell Splits the Week - Albany Devils
- Rampage Week 12 Report - San Antonio Rampage
- Sound Tigers News - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monarchs Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Binghamton Senators weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Bears begin five games in six nights Tuesday - Hershey Bears
- Ellis Returns to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Flames Recall Regehr, Moss From Knights - Abbotsford Heat
- Worcester signs Prudden to Professional Tryout Agreement - Worcester Sharks
- Flames Send Ference, Germyn to Knights - Abbotsford Heat
- Aeros Gameday - Houston Aeros
- Sharks Look to Ring in New Year with "Bang" - Worcester Sharks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.