Clippard named Eastern League Pitcher of the WeekAugust 21, 2006 - Eastern League (EL) - Trenton Thunder Press Release
This is the seventh time during the 2006 season in which a Thunder player has been named the winner of either award by the Eastern League. This is the third time Clippard has won "Pitcher of the Week" this season. It is the first time a Thunder pitcher or hitter has won "Player of the week" three times in one season. The last time Eastern League pitchers have won the award three times during a season was in 2001 when Adam Walker (Reading Phillies) and John Stephens (Bowie Baysox) each won the award three times.
Trenton OF Shelley Duncan has won the "Hitter of the Week" award twice during the season, with INF Randy Ruiz winning the award once in 2006. RHP Philip Hughes won the "Pitcher of the Week" award for the week of August 13th.
Clippard, a native of Trinity, Florida, walked four and struck out nine during his no-hitter. The closest prior bid for a no-hitter in Thunder history was May 11, 2001 when RHP Justin Duchscherer worked 8 2/3 "no-hit" innings before losing the bid. Both Steven White and Phil Hughes had carried no-hit bids into the 8th Inning earlier in the season before losing them.
The 6'4", 170 lb. hurler, who was ranked by Baseball America as the 10th best prospect in the Yankees organization entering the season, was selected by the New York Yankees in the ninth round of the June 2003 draft out of J.W. Mitchell High School in Florida.
Eastern League Stories from August 21, 2006
- Bowie wins slugfest, outlasts Curve 13-9 - Altoona Curve
- Moss walks off the 'Dogs winners, 10-9 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Portland comes from behind for walk-off win - Binghamton Mets
- Ruiz, Thunder "walkoff" with 7-6 win - Trenton Thunder
- Evan Fahrner joins Fisher Cats after trade - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Fisher Cats edge Phillies, 5-3, Monday night for fourth win in five games - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Clippard named Eastern League Pitcher of the Week - Trenton Thunder
- Reegie Corona joins Trenton from RiverDogs - Trenton Thunder
- NY Mets' First Pick In 2006 Draft Joins Binghamton - Binghamton Mets
- Aeros Dynamics - Akron RubberDucks
- Eastern League announces weekly award winners - EL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.