Zink Named Defensive Player of the Week
DENVER - Defenseman Lee Zink was named the Major League Lacrosse Defenseman of the Week after holding John Grant Jr. to zero goals and just one assist in Denver's 14-12 win against Chesapeake in Week 12, the league announced on Monday.
The award is the second of the year for Zink and the third of his career. He also earned the honor following Week 4. This is the first season that the seven-time MLL All-Star has earned multiple weekly awards.
Zink has helped lead an Outlaws defense that has allowed just 9.8 goals per game, which leads the league this season. Denver clinched the MLL's top playoff seed and guaranteed itself the best winning percentage for a single season in league history with Saturday's victory against the Bayhawks.
The weekly accolade is the sixth earned by Denver this season, which is most among all MLL teams. Goalie Jesse Schwartzman and attackman Eric Law have each earned a pair of weekly awards - Defensive Player of the Week and Rookie of the Week, respectively.
This week, the Outlaws travel to New York for a game against the Lizards that can be seen live nationally on CBS Sports at 5 p.m. EDT on Sunday, Aug. 4.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Lacrosse message board...
Major League Lacrosse Stories from July 29, 2013
- Thul Wins Offensive Player of the Week - Hamilton Nationals
- Zink Named Defensive Player of the Week - Denver Outlaws
- Thul, Zink and Lawson Named MLL Players of the Week - MLL
- Major League Lacrosse Partners with The Whistle to Connect with and Engage Young Athletes and Fans - MLL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Outlaws Stories
- Denver Outlaws Fall 19-15 to New York Lizards in Regular-Season Opener
- Denver Outlaws to Open 2018 Season on Saturday in New York
- Denver Outlaws Select Eight Players in the 2018 MLL Collegiate Draft
- Outlaws Sign Hawkins in Player Movement
- Denver Outlaws Fall in Week 8