Xplorers defensive back Deon Giddens had record-breaking Saturday
SOUTHAVEN --- Memphis Xplorers defensive back Deon Giddens put himself on top in the team's defensive record book in Saturday's opening season victory at Tennessee Valley. His 13 tackles in the game, 11 solo and 4 assisted, shattered the previous record of 11.5 by Kenzaki Jones versus Cape Fear in a game in 2004. Giddens and the Xplorers defense held the Vipers to just six points in the second half in the team's 47-25 win.
Giddens was named the ADT Defensive Player of the Game for his efforts and received consideration for the weekly af2 defensive player award for week one. Giddens is in his second season with the Xplorers after playing in all 16 regular season games last season. The Tennessee State product was third on the team with 5 interceptions and was the second leading tackler with 52.5. Giddens is playing the defensive specialist position this season. A defensive specialist is one of three players that doesn't also have to play on offense.
The Xplorers take their 1-0 record into the home opener this Saturday when they host the Florida Firecats. The banner commemorating last season's ArenaCup title will be raised to the rafters of the DeSoto Civic Center in a pregame ceremony. Game time is 7 p.m. and the first 1,500 fans will receive a 2006 Xplorers magnet schedule.
The Memphis Xplorers...2005 ArenaCup Champions The Xplorers will defend their Arena Cup Championship in 2006 and you can be in on the action. The season begins on April 1 at Tennessee Valley with the home opener on April 8 versus the Florida Firecats.
Season Tickets are available now and begin as low as $56. Don't miss all the action of the "50-Yard Indoor War." For season ticket information call the Xplorers office at 662-342-1755.
Single game tickets are also available now starting at $12 and can be purchased online at www.ticketmaster.com, by calling 901-525-1515 or in person at the DeSoto Civic Center box office during business hours.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from April 5, 2006
- af2 and OurSports Central Radio team up to launch weekly online radio show "Off the Net" - af2
- Xplorers defensive back Deon Giddens had record-breaking Saturday - Memphis Xplorers
- Wildcats announce field naming rights partnership with Cooper Tire - South Georgia Wildcats
- Memphis remains on top in week two coaches poll - af2
- Florida Firecats game notes - Florida Firecats
- Conquest goin' down to Georgia - Albany Firebirds
- Outback Steakhouse Fifth Annual Blitz Bowl April 7 - Bakersfield Blitz
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.