Xplorers Back on Road Against Conquest
Southaven, MS-The Memphis Xplorers of the af2 are headed to Albany, New York this weekend to face the Conquest (2-4). The Xplorers currently have the best record in the league at 6-1.
Last weekend Memphis continued their dominance over division opponents, with a 46-40 victory over the Amarillo Dusters, giving Memphis a game and a half lead in the Mid West Division. Xplorers offensive specialist Kevin Prentiss earned the Offensive MVP, with 12 catches for 122 yards, and three touchdowns. The Army Ironman was Terrell Adams, who had three catches, including one touchdown, as well as an interception. OL/DL Philip Perry had the games only sack, and blocked a field goal attempt, giving him the ADT Defensive Player Honor.
Memphis had a 27-point lead over Amarillo, before allowing the Dusters to close the margin to six points with under a minute left in the game. An onside kick recovery by WR/LB Ryan Karr sealed the victory for the Xplorers.
We cannot play this way and expect to win, said Xplorers Head Coach Danton Barto. We need to put teams away. If we keep this up, we give the opponent confidence that they can come back on us.
While it seems as if there is a lot to work on for Memphis, it is certainly not time to hit the panic button. The Xplorers are continuing to build off of their best start in franchise history, with the best record in the af2. The main goal is always to get the win, and we have been very good at doing that thus far, says Barto.
The Conquest lost last weekend to the Manchester Wolves 47-48, ending a two-game win streak. Albany will be coached by interim Head Coach Dave Bochette, after the team released Richard Davis earlier this week.
Memphis will have their first bye week of the season next weekend, before heading to Arkansas to face the Twisters the following Saturday.
Saturday nights game against Albany is scheduled for 6:35 CST. All Xplorers games can be heard on SportsRadio WMC The Mighty 790 AM. Memphis next home game is June 11th against the Quad City Steamwheelers. Single game tickets start as low as $7, and can be purchased by calling 662-280-9120, visiting the DeSoto Civic Center box office, or by logging onto Ticketmaster.com today.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from May 18, 2005
- Week eight af2 quick hitters - af2
- Riptide-Blitz Preview - San Diego Riptide
- af2 NationBonus CoverageWeek 8 Quick Picks - OSC Original by Walter L. Johnson II
- Wolves are number one - Manchester Wolves
- Bowers Named ADT Defensive Player of the Week - Green Bay Blizzard
- Firecats fall, Wolves capture number one ranking - af2
- Xplorers Back on Road Against Conquest - Memphis Xplorers
- Yard Dawgz welcome special coin toss participants - Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz
- Dusters Add Two with NFL Experience - Amarillo Venom
- This Weeks Steamwheelers Game Against Blizzard to be Aired on Mediacom Channel 22 - Quad City Steamwheelers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.