Wynne Strikes out 17 over Eight Scoreless Innings
BURLINGTON, NC - RHP Randy Wynne (W, 3-2) struck out 17 and allowed just one hit over eight scoreless innings in the Greeneville Reds (23-35) 2-0 win over the Burlington Royals (36-24) Tuesday night at Burlington Athletic Stadium.
Wynne set the tone for the night with an immaculate inning in the bottom of the first. Burlington's lone hit in the game came on a two-out single from William Hancock in the second. Wynne went on to retire the next 15 Royals. The only other base runner to reach was on a dropped third strike in the seventh. Wynne finished the seventh with four strikeouts.
Tyler Callihan scored the games first run in the fourth. He was hit by a LHP Marlin Willis (L, 1-1) pitch to open the inning, moved to second on a ground out, and scored on Jose Tello's two-out, RBI-single.
Greeneville added a second run in the ninth. Garrett Wolforth reached on an error to open the inning, then stole second. Wolforth moved to third and scored on wild pitches from LHP Elliott Anderson to round out the scoring.
RHP Tanner Cooper (S, 2) pitched a scoreless bottom of the ninth. He struck out the first batter he faced, and worked around a two-out walk for his second save.
The Greeneville Reds head home to begin their final home stand of the season with All You Can Eat Wednesday at Pioneer Park. RHP Graham Ashcraft (2-3, 5.15) will start the opener against the Kingsport Mets, with first pitch scheduled for 6:30 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Appalachian League message board...
Appalachian League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Twins Snap Skid with 11-Inning Win in Princeton - Elizabethton Twins
- Florez Shines, Bats Explode to Take Pirates over .500 - Bristol Pirates
- Danville Dominates Kingsport 9-0 for Series Victory - Danville Braves
- Wynne Strikes out 17 over Eight Scoreless Innings - Greeneville Reds
- Royals Explode Early for 8-1 Win over Reds - Burlington Royals
- Cards Pull off Incredible Comeback at Calfee Park - Johnson City Cardinals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.