Cards Pull off Incredible Comeback at Calfee Park
PULASKI, Va. - Down to the last out in the ninth, the Johnson City Cardinals rallied for three runs to erase a 3-1 deficit and pull off an improbable 4-3 victory at Calfee Park Tuesday. Johnson City returns to TVA Credit Union Ballpark Wednesday vs. Elizabethton.
Mateo Gil began the two-out surge in the top of the last frame with a triple off the wall in the right field corner. Chandler Redmond followed with a base hit to cut the Pulaski lead to 3-2. Jhon Torres, who recorded two hits off the bench, then singled to keep the rally alive. The Yankees proceeded to remove Mitch Spence (1-3) and went to Tyler Johnson to face Liam Sabino. Sabino immediately smacked his second double of the game to put the Cardinals up 4-3. Sabino finished with three RBIs.
Jose Moreno celebrated his 19th birthday with 4.1 innings of one-run ball as the Cardinal starter. He passed the ball to Francisco Justo in the fifth after striking out five. Justo (3-2) allowed a run in the fifth and a solo homer to Madison Santos in the eighth but ultimately struck out the side in the ninth to earn the win.
Redmond scored twice. Torres finished with a double, a single and the winning run, scoring from first on the double by Sabino. Torres went 6-for-12 with four extra-base hits, including two homers, four RBIs and three runs scored in Pulaski. Aaron Antonini finished with one hit and caught three men stealing from behind the plate.
The Cardinals outhit the Yankees 10-6. The win was the first on the road and second overall this season for the Cardinals when trailing after eight innings.
The Cardinals (31-29) return home to take on the Elizabethton Twins (27-31) Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Starters for both teams are TBA.
Johnson City returns home August 21st to begin the final homestand of the season vs. Elizabethton. August 21st will be an All You Can Eat Wednesday. Fans can enjoy all you can eat hamburgers, hot dogs, nachos with cheese, chips, popcorn, ice cream sandwiches, and Pepsi Products. August 21 will also be Niswonger Children's Hospital Night at TVA Credit Union Ballpark. August 22nd will be Thirsty Thursday presented by Coors Light. Fans are invited to enjoy $1, $2, & $3 beer specials, and $1 Pepsi Products.
• Discuss this story on the Appalachian League message board...
Appalachian League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Twins Snap Skid with 11-Inning Win in Princeton - Elizabethton Twins
- Florez Shines, Bats Explode to Take Pirates over .500 - Bristol Pirates
- Danville Dominates Kingsport 9-0 for Series Victory - Danville Braves
- Wynne Strikes out 17 over Eight Scoreless Innings - Greeneville Reds
- Royals Explode Early for 8-1 Win over Reds - Burlington Royals
- Cards Pull off Incredible Comeback at Calfee Park - Johnson City Cardinals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Johnson City Cardinals Stories
- Drop off Nashville Relief Donations at Memorial Park Community Center
- Striking out Misconceptions on the 2020 Season
- Johnson City Cardinals Win Three League Awards
- Cards Capture Appalachian League Championship
- Cards Rebound in Burlington, Championship Rubber Match Set for Wednesday