WTVO-TV's Scott Leber Named Winner of 2021-22 James H. Ellery Memorial Award
August 18, 2022 - American Hockey League (AHL) News Release
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. ... The American Hockey League announced today that Scott Leber, sports director at WTVO-TV in Rockford, Ill., has been selected as the recipient of the James H. Ellery Memorial Award for the 2021-22 season.
The James H. Ellery Memorial Award is presented annually in recognition of outstanding media coverage of the American Hockey League. It was first presented in 1964-65 and honors the late Jim Ellery, who served the AHL for 17 years as league secretary and publicity director until his death in 1964.
A staple on the local sports scene since joining WTVO in 1989, Leber serves as sports director and is the sports anchor for the nightly newscasts on Rockford's ABC and Fox affiliates. He has long recognized the Rockford IceHogs' importance to the local community, and he remained committed to covering the club despite limitations and health and safety protocols that were in place last season, attending nearly every video conference session, media day, pre- and post-game availability and IceHogs home game to gather highlights and footage.
"One of my biggest joys working in Rockford sports is covering the Rockford IceHogs," Leber said. "I've always found hockey players to be among the most down-to-earth athletes. The IceHogs organization has been tremendous to work with. Their staff has always been great about providing those of us in the Rockford media with access to players and coaches and accommodating those of us who report on the team."
Leber has covered events including the Stanley Cup Final, the World Series, the Super Bowl, the Indy 500 and the Masters over his career, and has worked as the studio host for local Hockey Night in Rockford telecasts of IceHogs games.
In operation since 1936, the AHL serves as the top development league for all 32 National Hockey League teams. Nearly 90 percent of today's NHL players are American Hockey League graduates, and more than 100 honored members of the Hockey Hall of Fame spent time in the AHL in their careers.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from August 18, 2022
- WTVO-TV Sports Director Scott Leber Named Winner of 2021-22 James H. Ellery Memorial Award - Rockford IceHogs
- WTVO-TV's Scott Leber Named Winner of 2021-22 James H. Ellery Memorial Award - AHL
- Charlie Gerard Is Back for 2022-23 Season - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Minnesota Wild Signs Forward Sammy Walker to a Two-Year, Entry-Level Contract - Iowa Wild
- Reign Sign Forward Alan Quine - Ontario Reign
- Admirals Announce Schedule Changes - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolf Pack Announce Time Change for December 3rd Game vs. Rockford IceHogs - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rockford IceHogs Announce Schedule and Time Changes vs. Admirals and Wolf Pack - Rockford IceHogs
- Bears Ink Defender Logan Day to AHL Deal - Hershey Bears
- Marlies Sign Forward Brandon Kruse - Toronto Marlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.