Wingnuts Top Friends in Exhibition Opener
WICHITA, Kans. - Six pitchers combined to allow just three hits and one unearned run, as the Wichita Wingnuts topped the Friends Falcons 6-1 in the exhibition opener on Wednesday afternoon at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
The Wingnuts got the scoring started early with three runs in the bottom of the first. Abel Nieves sliced a two-run triple into the right field corner, then Tony Thomas followed with an RBI double that eluded the glove of Friends centerfielder Andrew Chartrand.
Working with a 3-0 lead, Wingnuts starter Casey Harman breezed his way through two scoreless innings, allowing just one hit while striking out two. Peter Irvin and Parker Sanburn followed with two shutout frames apiece, notching five strikeouts along the way.
The Falcons scratched across their lone run in the top of the seventh, getting an unearned tally against reliever Carlos Diaz. Jace Snodgrass reached on an error to lead off the inning and came around to score on a two-out double from Justin Braziel.
Wichita answered back with two runs of their own in the home half of the innings, getting RBI singles from Logan Trowbridge and Jared Reaves to stretch the lead to 6-1. Reaves finished the game 2-for-3 with a run scored and an RBI. Zach Nehrir also added two hits, including a run-scoring double.
The Wingnuts will continue their exhibition schedule on Friday, May 11 at Maize High School against the Gary SouthShore RailCats at 7:05 PM.
The 11th season of Wingnuts baseball and the club's pursuit of an eighth consecutive division title kicks off with a three-game home series against the Kansas City T-Bones, beginning on Friday, May 18. For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 9, 2018
- Goldeyes Receive Multiple Contributions in Spring Win - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- CHS Field to Host MIAC Tournament May 10-13 - St. Paul Saints
- Railroaders Sign Rafael Palmeiro, Son - Cleburne Railroaders
- Wingnuts Top Friends in Exhibition Opener - Wichita Wingnuts
- Meet the T-Bones Night and Kenzie Morrison Appearance at T-Bones Stadium - Kansas City T-Bones
- Railroaders Ink Jared Mortensen - Cleburne Railroaders