Wild Comeback Leads to 13th Straight Win
San Jose, CA - The Quakes pulled off their biggest comeback of the 2018 season so far, scoring the game's final six runs in a 6-5 win over the San Jose Giants.
Hamlet Marte cracked a solo homer to open the ninth inning of play to give the Quakes the lead for good, helping Rancho extend their franchise-record winning streak to 13 straight games.
After Marte put the Quakes up 6-5, Marshall Kasowski, who worked a 1-2-3 eighth, got into some ninth inning trouble. With one out, Kasowski gave up a hit to Heath Quinn. Pinch-runner Bryce Johnson then stole second to put the tying run in scoring position. After Kasowski (1-0) struck out Jacob Heyward on a 3-2 pitch, Dillon Dobson lifted a line drive into left field. Saige Jenco got a terrific read on the ball though and came racing in to make a diving game-saving catch, preserving the 13-game winning streak.
Quakes' starter Parker Curry got roughed up early, allowing five runs (three earned) over just four innings.
The Quakes mounted their comeback in the fourth against starter Raffi Vizcaino. Cody Thomas' infield single plated Marte to make it 5-1. Omar Estevez followed with a sac fly to make it a 5-2 game. Cristian Santana then stepped to the plate and went deep to the opposite field, a two-run blast off reliever Keenan Bartlett to make it a one-run game at 5-4. The home run for Santana gives him 13 on the year and he now has 57 RBIs on the year, to lead the league.
Estevez tied the game in the eighth against Giants' reliever Peter Lannoo (1-3) with a solo home run, his fourth of the series and ninth of the year.
Marte's homer was his second hit of the game and ninth round-tripper of the year, sacking Lannon (1-3) with the loss.
On Monday, the Quakes (16-2, 51-37) return to LoanMart Field as they face the Lancaster JetHawks. Leo Crawford (2-0) will take on Matt Dennis (6-8) in the four-game series-opener. Game time on Monday is 7:05pm. Tickets are available by calling (909) 481-5000 or online at rcquakes.com. Go Quakes!
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from July 9, 2018
- San Jose Giants Homestand Preview: July 13 - July 16 - San Jose Giants
- Stockton Ports Playoff Tickets on Sale July 16th - Stockton Ports
- Reeling Giants Swept by Quakes - San Jose Giants
- Ports Drop Fourth Straight, Fall 8-5 - Stockton Ports
- Wild Comeback Leads to 13th Straight Win - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Nuts Wipe out Five-Run Deficit in 8-7 Win - Modesto Nuts
- Lancaster Unable To Complete Sweep Sunday - Lancaster JetHawks
- Peacock Brilliant in 6-1 Win - Visalia Rawhide
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rancho Cucamonga Quakes Stories
- Quakes Named 2018 Cal League Organization of the Year
- Quakes Are Cal League Champions
- Quakes One Win Away After Hammering Visalia
- Quakes Win Game 1 in Visalia
- Quakes Advance to Championship Series