Wide Receiver Fabian Guerra Named Arena Football League's Co-Rookie of the Year
PHILADELPHIA, PA - The Arena Football League announced today that wide receiver Fabian Guerra of the Columbus Destroyers and wide receiver Antwane Grant of the Atlantic City Blackjacks have both earned Rookie of the Year honors after strong rookie campaigns during the 2019 regular season.
Guerra proved to be an incredibly dynamic player this season, leading the league in all-purpose yards with 1,521. As a kick returner, Guerra also led the league in kick-return yards with 736 and tied for the most kick-return touchdowns with three. As a receiver, Guerra finished fourth in receiving yards per game, averaging 76.5, and ranked sixth in receiving touchdowns with 15. Guerra also delivered one of the best single-game performances of the season in the home opener against the Albany Empire in Week 4, totaling 290 all-purpose yards and delivering six touchdowns in a breakout performance. His 202 receiving yards that night set a new franchise single-game high, breaking the previous record of 190 receiving yards in a game.
Grant was one of the most dependable receivers all season, finishing second in receiving yards with 959, and ranking second in receiving yards per game with an average of 87.2. Grant also recorded six games with 100 or more receiving yards, which was good for second most in the league and finally also ranked sixth in all-purpose yards with 1,003. Grant tied with Guerra for sixth in touchdowns with 15.
Last Thursday, Guerra earned first team all-arena honors on special teams, while Grant earned second team all-arena honors at the wide receiver position. This is the first time in league history there will be co-Rookie of the Year recipients.
2019: Second Team All-Arena (WR); Rookie of the Year
2019: First Team All-Arena (ST); Rookie of the Year
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League message board...
Arena Football League Stories from August 6, 2019
- ArenaBowl 32 Weekend Schedule Announced - Albany Empire
- Wide Receiver Fabian Guerra Named Arena Football League's Co-Rookie of the Year - Columbus Destroyers
- AFL Kicker of the Year Announced - Albany Empire
- Antwane Grant Earns Co-Rookie of the Year Honors - Atlantic City Blackjacks
- Brigade Today // August 6, 2019 - Baltimore Brigade
- ArenaBowl 32 Game Preview - Philadelphia Soul
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Destroyers Stories
- Wide Receiver Fabian Guerra Named Arena Football League's Co-Rookie of the Year
- Arena Football League Announces 2019 All-Arena Selections
- Valiant Effort by Destroyers Falls Just Short in Season Finale Loss to Valor, 56-50
- Destroyers Fall in Home Finale, 49-18, Despite Largest Crowd of the Season
- Destroyers Drop Road Contest in Baltimore, 50-12