Arena Football League Announces 2019 All-Arena Selections
PHILADELPHIA, PA - The Arena Football League announced its 2019 First and Second All-Arena teams today. The selections today mark the beginning of all post-season award announcements. The AFL will unveil post-season recognition for players and coaches every day beginning today and running through next Friday, leading up to ArenaBowl 32.
The Destroyers had three players earn All-Arena honors for the 2019 season. Defensive back Varmah Sonie and wide receiver Fabian Guerra earned first-team selections, with Guerra's coming as a special teamer for his performance as a kick-returner during the regular season. Defensive tackle Terrance Taylor earned a spot on the all-arena second team.
In his sixth season in the AFL, Sonie anchored the Columbus secondary and enjoyed a stand-out season while leading an underrated Destroyers defense. The 5'8", 175 lb. defensive back appeared in all 12 games, leading the team with 47.5 tackles while tying for third in the league in interceptions with five, and third in the league in pass break-ups with 15.
Guerra, who just completed his rookie season in the AFL, earns first-team honors as a special teamer, for his work as a kick returner during the 2019 season. Only appearing in ten games, Guerra led the league in all-purpose yards with 1,521 and kick-return yards with 736. The 6'0, 190 lb. rookie-of-the-year candidate also finished tied for first in the league in kick-return touchdowns with three.
Finishing up his ninth year in the AFL, Taylor was a force in the middle of the defensive line for the Destroyers in 2019. The 6", 320 lb. defensive tackle appeared in ten games for the team, tying for fifth in the league in tackles-for-loss with four and tied for third in forced fumbles with two.
See below or attached for the full list of All-Arena nominees:
Ballots were distributed amongst coaches, PR staff members, broadcast members and appointed media members. Individuals who work for teams were not allowed to vote for players on their respective teams. All other awards will be announced through August 10 leading up to ArenaBowl 32.
The Columbus Destroyers are members of the Arena Football League (AFL) and play at Nationwide Arena! Interested in purchasing season tickets for the 2020 season? Call (614) 228-5518 or visit ColumbusDestroyers.com to get your seats today! Be sure to follow the Destroyers on Twitter @AFLDestroyers, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AFLDestroyers, and on Instagram @AFLDestroyers.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League message board...
Arena Football League Stories from August 1, 2019
- Arena Football League Announce 2019 All-Arena Teams - Albany Empire
- Blackjacks Place Four on All-Arena Teams - Atlantic City Blackjacks
- Seven Brigade Players Selected to AFL All-Arena Teams - Baltimore Brigade
- Four Valor Players Named to 2019 All-Arena Team - Washington Valor
- Soul Place Seven on All-Arena Teams - Philadelphia Soul
- Arena Football League Announces 2019 All-Arena Selections - Columbus Destroyers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Destroyers Stories
- Destroyers Announce Two Open Tryouts to be Held at Bo Jackson's Elite Sports in Columbus and Chicago
- Defensive Back Brandon Stephens Named Arena Football League's Al Lucas Hero Award Winner
- Wide Receiver Fabian Guerra Named Arena Football League's Co-Rookie of the Year
- Arena Football League Announces 2019 All-Arena Selections
- Valiant Effort by Destroyers Falls Just Short in Season Finale Loss to Valor, 56-50