Wichita Adds Accomplished Infielder Perez
WICHITA, Kan. - The Wichita Wingnuts have added an infielder with an impressive professional pedigree, announcing the signing of Fernando Perez.
In conjunction with Perez's signing, the Wingnuts have moved infielder Jared Reaves to the inactive list, retroactive to May 19.
Perez was a 2012 third round draft pick of the San Diego Padres out of Central Arizona College. The 24-year old spent six seasons in the Padres organization, climbing as high as Double-A San Antonio in 2017. A left-handed hitter and right-handed thrower, Perez is a career .255 hitter with 72 home runs and 345 RBI.
A native of Ensenada, Mexico, Perez's best season came in 2014 at Class-A Fort Wayne, where he hit .284 with 18 home runs and 95 RBI to earn recognition as a Padres Organizational All-Star. After splitting 2017 between High-A Lake Elsinore and Double-A San Antonio, Perez played in the Mexican Winter League with Hermosillo, pounding 25 extra-base hits in 60 games and hitting .297.
Perez only played one season of college baseball, graduating early from Otay Ranch High School in California to play for Central Arizona. As a freshman for the Vaqueros, Perez hit .341 with 20 doubles and 11 triples, earning the title of top overall draft-eligible JUCO player according to Perfect Game.
Perez will wear #33 for the Wingnuts.
The Wingnuts will kick off a three-game series on the road against the Kansas City T-Bones. First pitch from CommunityAmerica Ballpark is scheduled for Friday at 7:05 PM. Wichita will start rookie Corbin Osburn (1-0, 1.80), while the T-Bones will counter with righty Tommy Collier (1-1, 6.94). The game will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 2, 2018
- Goldeyes Grind out Win over Dogs - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Willard's Blast Gives Wichita Extra-Inning Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Kansas City Stumbles Saturday Night at Home - Kansas City T-Bones
- Dogs Rally Falls Short in Fireworks Saturday Loss - Chicago Dogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Zimmerman Dazzles in Pro Debut, Saints Tie It in Ninth, But Lose 3-2 in 11 - St. Paul Saints
- Jacobs Hits Two Homers and Lincoln Cruises to 10-1 Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Gunn's Complete Game Shutout Carries Gary to Seventh Straight Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Sign St. Thomas Standout Pitcher Ryan Zimmerman - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Sign Outfielder Cunningham and Left Handed Pitcher Buckelew - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wichita Adds Accomplished Infielder Perez - Wichita Wingnuts
- Mazzola Sets League Record in Series-Opening Win - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- AirHogs Can't Overcome Early Deficit vs. Sioux City - Texas AirHogs
- Dogs Lose 6-3 on Chilly Night in Rosemont - Chicago Dogs
- X's Texas Trip off to Strong Start - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.