Whittaker and Williams Honored with AFL Awards
The Arena Football League announced today that Spokane's WR Huey Whittaker and DB Travis Williams have been honored with league awards this week.
Whittaker, along with Alabama's WR CJ Johnson, were selected as the Nifty Playmaker of the week. Whittaker recorded a season-high five touchdowns, and added 11 receptions for 153 yards. Two of Whittaker's touchdown receptions were converted on fourth down.
Williams was selected as the Riddell Defensive Player of the Week. Williams recorded the game-winning touchdown, in overtime, by intercepting Cleveland's QB John Dutton and returning the pick 43 yards for a score.
With the victory, and Arizona's 50-55 loss to Chicago, Spokane earned the Western Division Title. This weekend the Shock travel to Iowa to take on the Barnstormers and will make their national television debut on the NFL Network for the "Arena Game of the Week" on Friday at 5 PM PST.
The Shock will return to Spokane Tribe Field on July 23rd to host the Chicago Rush. This game will also be nationally televised on the NFL Network. Tickets for the game are still available and can be purchased by contacting TicketsWest.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League message board...
Arena Football League Stories from July 13, 2010
- Shock Host First Round Playoff Game August 6th - Spokane Shock
- Storm to Host Watch Party - Tampa Bay Storm
- Marshall Named AFL Ironman of the Week - Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz
- Vipers CJ Johnson Named AFL's Co-Nifty Playmaker of the Week - Alabama Vipers
- Whittaker and Williams Honored with AFL Awards - Spokane Shock
- Marshall, Morgan And Williams Earn Week 15 Honors - AFL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.