Whitecaps FC 2, Real Monarchs SLC to Settle Score on Footy and Film Night on Saturday
After a thrilling 2-2 tie last Sunday, Whitecaps FC 2 (6W-0L-4D) face Real Monarchs SLC (3W-4L-4D) again this Saturday in their second meeting in under a week. The undefeated 'Caps continue to develop well but look to further improve and produce a full 90-minute performance as they go into their 11th match of the season. Tickets are still available for the match, with kickoff set for 7 p.m.
Last weekend, WFC2 took an early 2-0 lead over SLC midway through the first half, with Kyle Greig and Ben McKendry scoring within a minute of each other. Monarchs SLC would respond, as striker Ricardo Velazco pulled the Monarchs back to a draw with two goals on each side of halftime, for which he was named USL Player of the Week.
With an even match up that afternoon at Thunderbird Stadium, both teams will have a point to prove on Saturday and will be looking for the full three points this time around.
KICKOFF: 7 p.m. PT | FUN: Footy and Film: Kicking & Screaming | LIVE BAND: Abba Again
Featuring a large number of first team recruits on Sunday, WFC2 continued to put together a commanding performance.
Greig scored his ninth goal, sitting just two behind LA Galaxy II's Jack McBean for scoring lead in the USL, with two games in hand over the Californian side. The 26-year-old is also highly capable of netting multiple goals in a match, like in his two-goal performance during the 'Caps 4-3 win over LA Galaxy II. Performances like that one have made him one to watch in the league, and earned him two USL Team of the Week nominations, in Weeks 8 and 9.
Another player who scored last weekend is McKendry, who made his first-team debut last Wednesday in the Amway Canadian Championship, marking the latest chapter in his journey and growth within the club starting in his youth.
Just above Greig in minutes played for WFC2, Brett Levis maintains his strong run of form. The Saskatoon native earned himself a spot on the USL Team of the Week bench for Week 10 after his assist on McKendry's goal in Sunday's match, and his goal against Saint Louis FC on May 25. Playing both as an outside back and as an outside midfielder, Levis is a versatile presence in the 'Caps lineup, and is able to apply his skill set in various positions on the field.
As a whole, the team also put on quite the passing practice on Sunday, with one-touch combinations all over the park. If they keep up the passing pace this weekend, the match promises to be another entertaining one at Thunderbird Stadium.
REAL MONARCHS SLC
One hitch in the 'Caps progression up field last week? The daunting presence of Salt Lake centre backs Phanuel Kavita and Chris Schuler. Though the two of them have featured in just six and four matches, respectively, for the Salt Lake side, the two 6-foot-plus defenders kept much of the WFC2 attack under control on Sunday.
On the attack, the 'Caps will also need to keep an eye on central midfielder Andrew Brody. Though Velazco is leading the team in goals and is coming off a brace last Sunday, Brody has been a staple in the Monarch's midfield all season and has been steadily adding to his shot count, and goal count - to date, he has notched 11 shots and two goals for his side. Having recorded no shots in the last match versus the 'Caps, Brody will be on the attack on Saturday trying to get some shots and goals on his season's tally.
ROLL THE CREDITS...
At the conclusion of the match, enjoy a movie with the 'Caps at Thunderbird Stadium! Saturday is Footy and Film night at the WFC2 match, so bring a blanket and your appetite for popcorn, and enjoy Kicking & Screaming starring Will Ferrell, as voted by 'Caps fans.
'Caps favourites The Dog House and Hungry Nomad will be on scene at the match to help cure those halftime cravings, alongside fun activities like balloon art, face painting, bubble soccer, and live music from Abba Again!
Following Saturday's match, WFC2 head to Seattle to face Sounders FC 2 at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, June 9, for a midweek match up at Starfire Sports Complex. The two sides have yet to face each other this season, but the Cascadia rivalry will be a big match for the 'Caps nonetheless as they look to stay at the top of the Western Conference table.
This year, every Tier 1 'Caps Club MLS membership includes three open tickets to WFC2 matches. Members can select their matches and theme days online through Account Manager. Information on theme days is available at whitecapsfc.com/wfc2/themedays.
For more information, contact [email protected] or call 604-484-7862.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 3, 2016
- Fueling the Fire, Hammerheads Earn Third Win of the Week - Wilmington Hammerheads FC
- Hammerheads Find Game Winner Deep in Extra Time to Edge Islanders - Penn FC
- Republic FC's Jose Reynoso to be Spanish Public Address at Copa America Centenario - Sacramento Republic FC
- Riverhounds Sign Earls for Remainder of Season - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Blues Face off against Seattle Sounders FC 2 - Orange County SC
- 3rd Annual College Soccer Showcase Kicks off Today - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Preview: Swope Park Rangers Head to Idaho to Face Portland Timbers 2 - Sporting Kansas City II
- Leverock Selected to Compete in Second Round Qualifying Stage of the Caribbean Cup - Penn FC
- Match Preview: Sacramento Republic FC vs LA Galaxy II - Sacramento Republic FC
- Whitecaps FC 2, Real Monarchs SLC to Settle Score on Footy and Film Night on Saturday - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
- FC Montreal Hosts the Rochester Rhinos Saturday - FC Montreal
- South Texas Derby Arrives to the Rio Grande Valley - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- USL Weekend Preview - Week 11 - USL
- San Antonio FC Travels South for Third Match against Rio Grande Valley FC - San Antonio FC
- OCB Looks to Extend Winning Streak Sunday vs. Louisville City - Orlando City B
- Kickers Host English Premier League Side Swansea City July 16 - Richmond Kickers
- Kickers Travel to FC Cincinnati Saturday - Richmond Kickers