Whitecaps FC 2 Look to Protect the House against Swope
Returning home from a Cascadia match up against Seattle Sounders FC 2, Whitecaps FC 2 (6W- 2L- 4D) head back to Thunderbird Stadium for their second matchup of the season against Sporting Kansas City's USL affiliate Swope Park Rangers (4W-5L-2D). Kickoff is set for 2 p.m. on Sunday, and tickets are still available. In their last meeting, WFC2's youth put on a show, with the likes of Ben McKendry, Alphonso Davies, and Spencer Richey helping the team to a 2-1 win, alongside the continuous excellent play of captain Kyle Greig.
WHITECAPS FC 2
WFC2 face a quick turn going into Sunday, and will be fighting for a win after a 3-2 loss to Sounders FC 2 on Thursday. Though they are still tied with Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC as top dog in the Western Conference, the 'Caps will be in the hunt for the full three points.
First-team midfielder Marco Bustos made the trip down to Seattle on Thursday and caused S2 some trouble in the middle of the pitch. The Winnipeg native battered their net with shots in the first half, and combined well with MLS teammate Ben McKendry to keep Seattle on their toes. The pair continues to be crucial to the WFC2 midfield, working alongside Matthew Baldisimo and Will Seymore in the middle of the pitch. In addition, Giuliano Frano came off the bench to open his WFC2 account this past Thursday.
Congrats to @GiulianoFrano on scoring his first goal for #WFC2 last night. And against his former team too. https://t.co/Y0yBNvVSgz - Whitecaps FC 2 (@wfc2) June 10, 2016 WFC2 is also backed by a solid goalkeeping foursome of Spencer Richey, Sean Melvin, Paolo Tornaghi, and Marco Carducci. Together, the group has a 1.42 goals-against average through 12 matches, and each has stepped up to make some big saves for the 'Caps throughout the season.
SWOPE PARK RANGERS
Though they were struggling mid-season with some tough one-goal losses, including their loss against WFC2 on April 27, Swope Park are starting to hit their stride. On Wednesday night, the team solidified their biggest win of the season, a 4-0 performance against Rio Grande Valley FC.
On an individual level, Toronto-born striker Mark Anthony Gonzalez has been steadily progressing in the Rangers lineup in the past few games. Should he travel with the team this weekend, the 21-year-old could cause some problems for the 'Caps back line. In the last four matches, he has one assist and three goals, including a brace on Wednesday evening.
Just to Gonzalez's left, his attacking partner and Rangers outside midfielder Kevin Oliveira has been combining well with the striker in recent matches, assisting on both of his goals versus Rio Grande. Oliveira also earned an assist on striker Daniel Salloi's goal that night, bringing his own points tally to three for the evening.
FOUR-LEGGED FANS WELCOME
On Sunday, fans have the opportunity to bring their canine companions to a 'Caps game for Bark at the Bird! For $5 per puppy, bring your dog to sit with you in the stands and enjoy WFC2 taking on Swope Park. Proceeds from your pooch's ticket go to the BCSPCA!
A pet photographer will be on site to document the day, alongside Whitecaps FC leashes, collars and other dog merchandise for you to purchase at the match and deck your dog out in 'Caps attire. There are just a few simple rules to the fun, but nothing your furry friends can't handle!
As always, the Dog House and Hungry Nomad food trucks will be on the concourse supplying some awesome local eats for fans, and there will be activities galore with balloon art, face painting, live music from Coco Jafro, and a bubble soccer match at halftime.
Following Sunday's match, WFC2 have a week to recover before facing Timbers 2 at Thunderbird Stadium on Sunday, June 19. With it being father's day, bring your dad to the match and get his ticket for free with the purchase of a regular ticket! Kickoff is set for 2 p.m.
This year, every Tier 1 'Caps Club MLS membership includes three open tickets to WFC2 matches. Members can select their matches and theme days online through Account Manager. Information on theme days is available at whitecapsfc.com/wfc2/themedays.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 11, 2016
- Arizona United Snaps Winless Streak with 2-0 Win - Phoenix Rising FC
- Sacramento Republic FC extends streak - Sacramento Republic FC
- Switchbacks Stay Atop the Western Conference with Scoreless Draw vs LA - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- 10-Man OCB Holds on for Big Win at Charleston Battery - Orlando City B
- San Antonio FC Scores Late to Earn Valuable Road Point - San Antonio FC
- 10-Man RGV FC Toros Host Oklahoma City Energy FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- FC Montreal Loses 2-1 against FC Cincinnati - FC Montreal
- First-Place Louisville City FC Draws with Wilmington - Louisville City FC
- Hammerheads Rise to the Challenge, Tying Number One - Wilmington Hammerheads FC
- Hammerheads Rise to the Challenge, Tying Number One Team Louisville - Wilmington Hammerheads FC
- Okoli Scores Twice in 2-1 Win over FC Montreal - FC Cincinnati
- Own Goals Prove Costly for Hounds in Richmond - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Grant Scores Along with Two Own Goals to Seal Victory at City Stadium - Richmond Kickers
- Rio Grande Valley FC Toros Sign Eric Verso - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- San Antonio FC Defender Bobby Moseley Conludes Loan Period with Club - San Antonio FC
- Whitecaps FC 2 Look to Protect the House against Swope - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.