Whale Fall in Preseason Opener
Cromwell, CT, October 3, 2012 - The Albany Devils defeated the Connecticut Whale, 3-1, Wednesday night at Champions Skating Center in Cromwell, CT, in the Whale's AHL preseason opener.
Brandon Burlon, Harri Pesonen and Darcy Zajac scored for Albany, and J.T. Miller had the lone Connecticut goal. The Devils outshot the Whale, 34-19.
The game remained scoreless until there were only 42.7 seconds remaining in the first period, when the Devils scored a power-play goal. The goal came during a seven-minute Albany power play, created when the Whale's Brent Henley repeatedly punched the Devils' J.S. Berube, who did not respond.
During the man advantage, Burlon fired a shot from the left-wing boards that went through a Zajac screen and eluded Connecticut starting goaltender Jason Missiaen.
The power play carried over into the second period, and Albany struck again at 2:57 of the second, on a goal by Pesonen. Pesonen got his stick free in front of the Whale goal and deflected a right-point shot by Roman Hrabarenka past Missiaen.
The Devils made it a 3-0 lead at 6:52, with Zajac jamming the puck past Missiaen off of a goalmouth scramble.
The Whale finally got on the board on a five-on-three power play at 16:08, as Miller took a pass from Sean Collins and one-timed the puck past Albany's Maxime Clermont.
The win in net went to Jeff Frazee, who stopped all 10 shots he faced before giving way to Clermont at the 10:48 mark of the second period. Clermont stopped seven of eight shots. The Whale also changed goaltenders at 10:48 of the second, with Bryan Hince (no goals on 12 shots) replacing Missiaen, who made 16 saves in absorbing the loss.
The Whale are back in preseason action Thursday night, traveling to Worcester to meet the Sharks, at the College of the Holy Cross' Hart Center. Faceoff is 7:00 PM. The Whale's only other home preseason game is this Sunday, October 7, as they and the Sharks rematch at the Koeppel Community Sports Center on the campus of Trinity College. That game faces off at 2:00 PM.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 3, 2012
- Texas Stars Take Down Houston Aeros 7-2 - Texas Stars
- Falcons Begin Preseason, Drop Opener to Bruins - Springfield Falcons
- Amerks Drop Preseason Opener to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, 4-3 - Rochester Americans
- Hamilton Bulldogs Release 14 from Training Camp - Hamilton Bulldogs
- B-Sens Open Pre-Season with Shootout Victory over Bears - Binghamton Senators
- Whale Fall in Preseason Opener - Connecticut Whale
- Wolves Dump IceHogs 6-1 in Preseason Showdown - Chicago Wolves
- Senators Top Bears in Shootout in Pre-Season Opener - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Defeat Americans, 4-3, in First Tilt of Preseason - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- P-Bruins Clip Falcons in Preseason Opener - Providence Bruins
- Admirals Sign Jay Rosehill to PTO - Norfolk Admirals
- Wolves Release Eleven - Chicago Wolves
- ESPN 730 to Carry All Checkers Games in 2012-13 - Charlotte Checkers
- P-Bruins Add MacDermid and Bourque - Providence Bruins
- Tessier Eager to Start New Season - Connecticut Whale
- Falcons 2012-2013 Preseason Preview - Springfield Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.