Wave Wins 15 in a Row
The Milwaukee Wave already clinched a playoff spot, and set a franchise record winning streak. However, the team had plenty to play for against the Missouri Comets. With a win the team would extend their winning streak to 15 games, plus clinch home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. The Wave did just that by defeating Missouri 29-15.
Both teams came out firing in the first quarter, but it was Missouri who took an early 5-0 lead on goals by Jeff Hughes and Bryon Alvarez. The Wave would come back to make it 5-4 with goals from Israel Sesay and Ian Bennett. Mads Falck would score for Missouri to put the game at 7-4, but Luan Oliveira would answer that with a goal of his own to trim the Wave's deficit to 7-6 after the first quarter.
It was Missouri who scored first in the second quarter, as Vahid Assadpour extended the Comets lead to 9-6. Marcelo Fontana cut the lead to 9-8 shortly after. The back and forth affair would continue as Brian Harris of Missouri, and Hewerton from the Wave each scored, making it a 11-10 game. The Wave would take their first lead on a power play goal by Giuliano Oliviero. That would make it 12-11 at the end of the first half.
Each team got on the board early into the third quarter, when Assadpour and Oliveira each scored their second goal of the game, putting the score at 14-13. The goalkeepers kept the opposing team scoreless for most of the period until Fabinho hit a three point shot, which gave the Wave a 17-13 advantage heading into the final quarter.
Leo Gibson would add a goal for Missouri at the beginning of the fourth quarter, to put Missouri behind 17-15. Israel would extend their lead to 19-15 on Israel's Sesay second goal of the game. The Wave would add ten more points, giving them a 29-15 win and extending their winning streak to 15 games.
The Wave's next game is against the Rochester Lancers Sunday, February 10th at 3 pm at U.S. Cellular Arena. A special Chipotle 4-pack (4 burritos and 4 tickets for $40) is available for Saturday's game.Â Â Tickets are also available for purchase. For more information on tickets visitÂ www.milwaukeewave.comÂ or call 414.224.9283.
Please contact Van McNeil atÂ email@example.comÂ for media credentials for the game.
• Discuss this story on the Major Indoor Soccer League message board...
Major Indoor Soccer League Stories from February 2, 2013
- Wave Wins 15 in a Row - Milwaukee Wave
- Wings Rally Late for Victory over Lancers - Wichita Wings
- Lancers Game in Wichita Comes Down to the Wire - Rochester Lancers
- Blast Sweep Season Series against Silver Knights - Syracuse Silver Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Milwaukee Wave Stories
- Wave Fall Short in MASL Eastern Conference Final against Baltimore Blast
- Major Arena Soccer League Recognizes Four Milwaukee Wave Players with Post Season Awards
- Wave Ready for Eastern Conference Showdown with Rival Baltimore Blast Friday Night
- Wave Advance to Round Two of MASL Playoffs after Tough Victory against Cedar Rapids
- Wave Takes Game One of MASL Central Division Championship Series in Overtime