Wave Get Win in Return Home
"The road trip sucked man, it's always hard, teams are at home, you're flying, driving everywhere, it gets tough, it takes a toll on you," said Ian Bennett about the Wave's recent road trip. The team was glad to be back at the U.S. Cellular Arena Saturday night after playing five straight games on the road. They have played well all season long at home and hoped to continue that success against the Syracuse Silver Knights, whom they beat Wednesday 12-8. In front of a packed house of 8,009 the Wave once again defeated Syracuse, this time 10-6.
Syracuse was on the board first thanks to a goal from #6 Ryan Pierce on an assist from #33 Andriy Budnyy. The Wave answered when #26 Ian Bennett scored on a well-placed ball from #77 Marcio Leite, tying the score at 2-2. #23 Bozidar Jelovac came back with a goal from Syracuse putting them ahead 4-2. Milwaukee took advantage of a Syracuse penalty, receiving a power play goal from #14 Nick Perera. Soon after Syracuse goalkeeper #14 Bryan O'Quinn had to leave the game with an injury, and he was replaced by #20 Derek Popovich. No more scoring would occur, and with one quarter in the books, the game was tied at 4-4.
For much of the second quarter both teams exhibited great goalkeeping, but the Wave broke through late on Perera's second goal of the game, courtesy of another Leite assist. The Wave took a 6-4 lead heading into halftime.
Midway through the third quarter the Wave extended their lead to 8-4 on a goal from #8 Fabinho, with the assist coming from #21 Giuliano Oliviero. That would be the only goal of the quarter, and the Wave had an 8-4 advantage with one quarter remaining.
In the fourth quarter, Syracuse's Jelovac scored once again, putting the game at 8-6. A goal by #7 Luan Oliveira pushed the Wave's lead to 10-6, and the team would come away with the win.
Milwaukee finishes the regular season tomorrow at home against the Wichita Wings. Game time is at 3 p.m. $7 tickets are still available for Sunday's contest and also for the Sunday March 10th playoff game against Missouri. To purchase tickets visit www.milwaukeewave.com or call 414.224.9283.
• Discuss this story on the Major Indoor Soccer League message board...
Major Indoor Soccer League Stories from March 2, 2013
- Wave Get Win in Return Home - Milwaukee Wave
- Silver Knights Fall to Wave in Final Game of Season - Syracuse Silver Knights
- Knights Struggle Offensively, Lose to Soul - Syracuse Silver Knights
- Soul Clinch MISL Playoff Berth with Win over Silver Knights - Chicago Soul FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Milwaukee Wave Stories
- Washington County FC Joins ROC Ventures SC Wave Family
- Pereyra Pummels Orlando SeaWolves with Seven Point Game; Wave Win 12-6
- Wave Defeat Seawovles in Game One of Douleheader
- Back to Back Home Games for Milwaukee Wave this Weekend
- California Not Kind to Wave over the Weekend; Lose Second Straight Game Sunday Night