Warriors Outlast Charge in Overtime, 111-108
ORLANDO, FL - The Santa Cruz Warriors (2-3) beat the Canton Charge (2-3) in overtime on Wednesday afternoon, 111-108. Warriors center Kaleb Wesson completed a three-point play with 2.1 seconds left to give the Warriors a three-point lead and eventual victory.
Canton's Sheldon Mac completed a four-point play with 4.6 seconds remaining to tie the game for the first time and send it to overtime. The Warriors led by as many as 24 points before a 35-16 fourth quarter for the Charge.
Santa Cruz jumped out to a 10-0 run to start the game, with the first seven points from Golden State Warriors assignment forward Alen Smailagic, his first action since returning from injury. The Charge came within seven points in the first quarter, before Santa Cruz maintained a double-digit lead throughout the second quarter and a 21-point lead into halftime, 58-37.
Warriors two-way guard Nico Mannion earned his first double-double of the season and only converted one turnover (20 points, 10 assists). Golden State Warriors assignment guard Jordan Poole went 3-for-8 behind the arc and finished the game with 16 points. Smailagic finished with 19 points and four rebounds (7-9 FG) in his debut. Wesson tallied 20 points and 13 rebounds off the bench for his third double-double of the season. The game marked the Warriors' first overtime game since February 11, 2018, a 131-127 win over the South Bay Lakers.
Antonio Blakeney led the Charge with 23 points (9-23 FG), while Sir'Dominic Pointer earned his first double-double of the season (20 points, 10 rebounds). Mac finished with 21 points and five assists.
Santa Cruz will face the Fort Wayne Mad Ants on February 18 at 12:00 p.m. (PST) on NBC Sports Bay Area. For more information on the Santa Cruz Warriors, visit santacruzbasketball.com or call (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 17, 2021
- Wolves Fall to Undefeated Blue Coats - Iowa Wolves
- Charge Comeback Falls Short in OT - Canton Charge
- Warriors Outlast Charge in Overtime, 111-108 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Clippers Claw Back, Fall Short to 905 - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Pair of 20-Point Performances Not Enough against Nets - Westchester Knicks
- Long Island Nets Take Down Knicks - Long Island Nets
- Amida Brimah Joins Fort Wayne Mad Ants - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Hornets Assign Nick Richards to Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Brown Scores 24, Grabs 20 Rebounds in Blue Victory over Mad Ants - Oklahoma City Blue
- Blue Coats Cruise Past Swarm to Improve to 4-0 - Greensboro Swarm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Warriors Recall Jordan Poole and Transfer Nico Mannion to Golden State
- Warriors Beat Spurs 109-104 and Extend Win Streak to Eight
- Warriors Extend Win Streak to Seven Games with 108-88 Win over Nets
- Warriors Hold off Hustle and Extend Win Streak to Six, 116-111
- Warriors Beat Wolves and Earn Fifth Straight Win, 108-95