Veterans Memorial Stadium Closes for 4 Weeks
Over the last week, the outlook for the 2020 baseball season has changed. Spring Training was closed last week, and it was announced that there would be a delay to the start of the Major League and Minor League Baseball seasons. This includes the Cedar Rapids Kernels. Our Opening Night will be pushed back from April 13th, and there has not been a new start date announced.
Once Major and Minor League Baseball, as well as our public health agencies deem it safe to start the 2020 season, and the players are physically ready to compete, we will have our Opening Night of 2020. For now, we ask that everyone in our community heed the best practices put in place by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO), the Iowa Department of Public Health and our state and local officials.
The City of Cedar Rapids has recommended social distancing, meaning that gatherings of 25 or more people be prohibited to curb the spread of the virus. With the health and well-being of our staff, community and fans in mind we have decided to close Veterans Memorial Stadium for four weeks effective today. Only necessary staff will be allowed at the stadium.
On Monday, March 23rd our Kernels Ticket Office will begin selling single game tickets for all May-August games of the Kernels 2020 schedule. Tickets will be available for purchase online and by phone only. The Kernels Bimm Ridder Diamond Shop will also be open for online sales only, effective immediately for the next four weeks.
The safety of our players, coaches, employees, and fans is of the utmost importance to the Cedar Rapids Kernels. We will continue to monitor all developments and follow recommendations and guidelines set forth by Major League Baseball, Minor League Baseball and our public health officials.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from March 17, 2020
- Veterans Memorial Stadium Closes for 4 Weeks - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Latest from Loons Regarding Coronavirus - Great Lakes Loons
- Veterans Memorial Stadium Closed for 4 Weeks - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cedar Rapids Kernels Stories
- Adenhart Scholarship Deadline Approaches
- Kernels Seeking Nominations for Third Annual Kid Heroes Recognition
- Veterans Memorial Stadium Closes for 4 Weeks
- Veterans Memorial Stadium Closed for 4 Weeks
- 2020 NCAA DIII Baseball Championship Early Bird Tickets on Sale Now