Vallimont Vanquishes Former Club
JUPITER, Fla. - Chris Vallimont twirled a gem against his former club for the second time in eight days, and Andrew Bechtold laced a three-run double to break a scoreless game in the eighth, as the Miracle clipped the Jupiter Hammerheads, 3-1, on Saturday night at Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium.
Vallimont (3-5), who last week carried a no-hitter against his former squad into the eighth, limited the Hammerheads to three hits in seven scoreless innings. He walked one and struck out nine. Vallimont retired the first 13 men he faced before Lazaro Alonso singled with one out in the fifth.
With the bases loaded and one out in the eighth, Bechtold ripped a 1-2 pitch into the left-field corner to empty the bases and give the Miracle a 3-0 lead. All three runs were charged to Jeff Lindgren (1-1), who had not allowed an earned run in 20.2 innings to start his professional career.
Melvi Acosta collected his fourth save in five tries. The right-hander allowed an unearned run in two innings of relief.
The Miracle aim for the series win on Sunday afternoon. First pitch is set for 1:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Daytona Brushes by Palm Beach on Bob Ross Night - Daytona Tortugas
- Tarpons Slug Four Homers in Doubleheader Split vs. Blue Jays - Tampa Tarpons
- Hippies Halt St. Lucie 8-1 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Threshers Drop Twin Bill with Fire Frogs on Saturday - Clearwater Threshers
- Fire Frogs Throttle Threshers in Twin Bill Sweep, 3-2 and 5-0 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Stone Crabs Run Away with 8-1 Victory over Mets - St. Lucie Mets
- Vallimont Vanquishes Former Club - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.