Utah Royals FC Unveils 2018 Preseason Schedule & Roster
SANDY, Utah - Utah Royals FC revealed plans for the club's 2018 preseason schedule, along with a preliminary roster, as Head Coach Laura Harvey prepares her team for the club's inaugural season in Utah. Beginning on Monday, Feb. 19 and running through the March 24 NWSL opening weekend, preseason features training camp sessions at the world-class Zions Bank Training Center, as well as preseason scrimmages against Brigham Young University and at the University of California Los Angeles.
Harvey's team kicks off preseason at the club's facility in Herriman, Utah - just 15 minutes from Utah Royals FC's Rio Tinto Stadium home - this Monday, February 19. Following the first eleven days of camp, Utah will play its first scrimmage against the BYU women's soccer team on Saturday, March 3 (site/time TBD). After another week in Utah, the second leg of camp occurs in Southern California, the team embarking on a six-day trip to Los Angeles from March 12-17, where the team will face the UCLA Bruins on Friday, March 16 at 10:00 a.m. MT at Frank Marshall Field.
Utah Royals FC also announced that several of the club's various international players - members of the roster representing six different national teams - will not join the club until the latter half of preseason, due to duties "For Club and Country." United States Women's National Team DF Kelley O'Hara has been selected to join the USWNT camp in preparation for the upcoming #SheBelieves Cup (March 1-7 in Ohio, New Jersey, and Orlando). U.S.A. Captain and DF Becky Sauerbrunn will be in Utah rehabilitating a foot injury sustained during the January USWNT camp in Southern California, while fellow USWNT star FW Amy Rodriguez arrives in Utah, cleared for non-contact training after suffering a torn ACL after scoring a goal on NWSL opening weekend last April.
Other players preparing with their respective national teams include: Canadian MFs Desiree Scott, Diana Matheson and FW Maegan Kelly, expected to arrive in Salt Lake following their nation's participation the prestigious Algarve Cup from February 28 - March 7 in Portugal. Also competing in the Algarve Cup are: MF Gunnhildur "Gunny" Jonsdottir (Iceland) and FW Elise Thorsnes (Norway), both departing Utah on Feb. 26.
Royals FC DF Katie Bowen (New Zealand) is expected to arrive in Utah next week pending work visa logistics, but will spend the first week of March in Spain to play back-to-back Algarve Cup matches against Scotland on March 3 and March 6. DF Katrina Gorry, representing the Matildas of Australia, will also participate in the Algarve Cup, but is not expected to arrive to Utah until after her nation's FIFA 2019 France World Cup Qualifying matches from April 6-20.
Earlier today, the NWSL announced the official list of allocated players for the 2018 season. A total of 34 players - 23 Americans and 11 Canadians - will be participating as Federation Players in the upcoming season, with five - three representing USWNT and two for Canada - calling the Utah Royals FC home. They are, in alphabetical order: Diana Matheson (CAN), Kelley O'Hara (USA), Amy Rodriguez (USA), Becky Sauerbrunn (USA) and Desiree Scott (CAN). For the full list, please visit www.NWSLsoccer.com.
The majority of the club's international group is expected to return to the Wasatch Front on Friday, March 9, just in time for Real Salt Lake's home opener against LAFC on March 10, where the Utah Royals FC will be signing autographs and meeting fans at Carnival Real at Rio Tinto Stadium (details TBD). Utah Royals FC will then kick off the 2018 NWSL regular season on the road the weekends of March 24 and 31 (opponents TBD), before hosting their inaugural home game on Saturday, April 14 at Rio Tinto Stadium.
UTAH ROYALS FC 2018 PRESEASON SCHEDULE (subject to change):
Preseason camp opens at Zions Bank Training Center in Herriman, UT:
Preseason Leg #1 - Zions Bank Real Academy in Herriman, UT
Monday, February 19 - Saturday, March 10
Camp Opens: Monday, Feb. 19 - morning
Media Day: Friday, Feb. 23 - afternoon
Scrimmage #1: Saturday, March 3 - vs. BYU (time/site TBD) ***The Zions Bank Real Academy in Herriman - located at 14787 South Academy Parkway
- MUST be entered off of Mountain View Corridor, just West of the Facility***
Preseason Leg #2 - Los Angeles, CA
Monday, March 12 - Travel to Los Angeles, CA
Scrimmage #2: Friday, March 16 - @ UCLA - 10a MTSaturday, March 17 - Return to Utah
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from February 15, 2018
- Goalkeeper Stephanie Labbe Clears NWSL Distribution Process - NWSL
- Four Washington Spirit Players Tabbed as Allocated Players for 2018 NWSL Season - Washington Spirit
- Utah Royals FC Unveils 2018 Preseason Schedule & Roster - Utah Royals FC
- Sky Blue FC Allocated Four Players from U.S. Soccer and Canada Soccer - Sky Blue FC
- Three Players Allocated to Houston Dash for 2018 NWSL Season - Houston Dash
- National Women's Soccer League Announces 2018 Allocated Players; Including Two for Seattle Reign FC - Seattle Reign FC
- NWSL Announces 2018 Allocated Players - NWSL
- Heath, Horan, Sinclair, Sonnett Return to Thorns FC as Federation Players - Portland Thorns FC
- Alex Morgan, Ashlyn Harris and Shelina Zadorsky Named Pride's 2018 Allocated Players - Orlando Pride
- Chicago Releases 2018 Preseason Schedule - Chicago Red Stars
- Washington Spirit Rookie Rebecca Quinn Named to Canada WNT Roster for Algarve Cup - Washington Spirit
- Thorns FC to Host Thorns Spring Invitational Presented by Tillamook Yogurt March 11-17 at University of Portland - Portland Thorns FC
- Beckie, Leon and Sheridan Named to Canada Roster for 2018 Algarve Cup - Sky Blue FC
- Dash Forwards Prince, Agnew Named to Canada Roster for Algarve Cup - Houston Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Utah Royals FC Stories
- Utah Royals FC FW Amy Rodriguez Named 2018 URFC Humanitarian of the Year
- Utah Royals FC Keeps Core Intact for 2019 Season
- Zions Bank Real Academy to Host Generation Adidas Fall Regional
- Utah Royals FC to Host First U.S. Soccer C License Course for 21 NWSL Players
- Utah Royals FC Defender Becky Sauerbrunn Named to NWSL Best XI