Utah Flash Hire Assistant Coach Gene Cross
PROVO, Utah, Sept. 21, 2010 - Utah Flash announced today the addition of Gene Cross to the coaching staff. Cross fills the vacancy left by Mark Madsen, who has taken a leave from basketball to further his education at Stanford University.
"I am very excited to announce the addition of Gene Cross to the Utah Flash family. He has a very successful track record as an assistant coach and brings valuable head coaching experience to the Flash as well," said Head Coach Kevin Young. "Gene is a very hard worker and he will be great with our players."
Cross, 38, comes to the Flash after a long and productive career coaching college basketball. Cross played at the University of Illinois, and has coached at the University of Illinois-Chicago, Depaul, Virginia, Notre Dame, and the University of Toledo. Cross was an assistant under 2007 and 2008 Big East Coach of the Year, Mike Brey.
"We couldn't be happier to have a guy like Gene Cross on our staff," said Team President Drew Sellers. "By all accounts Gene is a team player, and will do whatever it takes to make our organization successful both on and off the court."
In addition to his on the floor coaching experience, Cross has held leadership positions as President of the Assistant Coaches Board in the National Association of Basketball Coaches. Cross has also been a key player in recruiting and access guidelines in the NCAA during his 15 year coaching career.
The Utah Flash begins its season by traveling to play the Reno Bighorns on Nov. 20. The Flash home opener is Dec. 3 against the Austin Toros at the UCCU Center. Tipoff is at 7 p.m. Tickets can be purchased by calling 801-434-4667 or visiting www.utahflash.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from September 22, 2010
- Bakersfield Jam to Pick 12th in 2010 NBA Development League Draft - Bakersfield Jam
- Springfield Armor to Pick Fifth in NBA D-League Draft - Springfield Armor
- Anderson Signs with Rockets - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Stampede to Hold Draft Party at Legends on November 1 - Idaho Stampede
- Wizards to Pick Ninth in 2010 NBA Development League Draft - Dakota Wizards
- Utah Flash Hire Assistant Coach Gene Cross - Utah Flash
- Mad Ants to Pick 10th in the 2010 D-League Draft - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.