U.S. National Under-18 Team Skates Past Bowling Green, 7-2
BOWLING GREEN, Ohio - Justin Faulk (South St. Paul, Minn.) notched two goals as the U.S. National Under-18 Team dropped Bowling Green State University, 7-2, here tonight at the BGSU Ice Arena.
Faulk opened the scoring 6:28 into the contest after he took a feed from Bill Arnold (Needham, Mass.) and snapped a shot off the left post and in to make it 1-0. Arnold registered a goal of his own after he tipped a Jarred Tinordi (Millersville, Md.) point shot between the legs of netminder Andrew Hammond at 13:11 for a power-play marker. Team USA extended its lead to three goals after Bryan Rust (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.) picked up Jon Merrill's (Brighton, Mich.) rebound and put the puck into the top of the net with just 1:28 to play in the opening frame.
Just 3:22 into the second period, Luke Moffatt (Paradise Valley, Ariz.) converted on a rebound chance to make it 4-0. Nick Shore (Denver, Colo.) tallied after his shot from behind the goal line banked off goaltender Nick Eno and in at 16:48.
In the final stanza, Bowling Green's Kyle Page put the Falcons on the board with a power-play goal at 5:45 after putting the puck past netminder Jack Campbell (Port Huron, Mich.). Just 1:43 later, Andrew Krelove netted another power-play goal to make it 5-2. At 12:09, Faulk tallied a power-play marker after his point shot beat Eno's blocker. Brandon Saad (Gibsonia, Pa.) split two Bowling Green defenders, skated in all alone and slipped a backhand shot between new netminder Phil Greer's legs with just 2:28 to play to account for the 7-2 final.
Campbell made 27 saves to earn the victory.
The U.S. National Under-18 Team returns to action Saturday against the Sioux City Musketeers of the United States Hockey League at the Ann Arbor Ice Cube at 7:05 p.m. EDT.
NOTES: Justin Faulk leads Team USA with five goals, four of which have come on the power play ... Brandon Saad registered his team-leading eighth point with his goal tonight ... The U.S. out shot Bowling Green by a 41-29 margin ... Team USA's win over Bowling Green marks its first win against an NCAA opponent this season and first win over the Falcons in two all-time meetings ... Bowling Green's Brennan Vargas (2005-07) is an alumnus of the National Team Development Program ... Team USA is 1-3 against NCAA opponents so far this season, with its three losses coming against nationally ranked Division I opponents.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from October 16, 2009
- U.S. National Under-18 Team Skates Past Bowling Green, 7-2 - U.S. National Team
- Bummer In Sioux Falls - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Phillippi, Lancers Blank Gamblers 5-0 - Omaha Lancers
- Lincoln Outlasts Phantoms, 7-6 In OT - Youngstown Phantoms
- U.S. National U17 Team Trimmed By Sioux City, 4-2 - U.S. National Team
- Countdown To Puck Drop: Phantoms At Lincoln - Youngstown Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent U.S. National Team Stories
- Team USA Releases 2019-20 Promotional Schedule
- USA Hockey Announces Multi-Year Partnership with TRUE Hockey
- NTDP Announces 2019-20 Home Schedule
- Record-Breaking 17 Players Selected Directly from NTDP in 2019 NHL Draft
- Jack Hughes Selected First Overall at 2019 NHL Draft