Two Mariners named to USL first Division team of the week
Steve Shak and Darren Caskey of the Virginia Beach Mariners were named to the "USL First Division Team of the Week" by the United Soccer Leagues. Shak and Caskey were honored for their performance during the Mariners 2-0 defeat of Portland at the Virginia Beach Sportsplex on September 2. The Mariners were the only team to have two players on this week's list.
Caskey, a midfielder from Nottingham England and the Mariners' leading scorer, was honored for his two assists of the night and Shak for the game's second goal. Caskeys' assists to teammates Jakob Fenger and Shak allowed the Mariners to score twice in the shut out against Portland. Shak is a midfielder from Cerritos, California in his second season with the club. It was his first goal of the season. Caskey was also named to the USL First Division Team of the Week on July 26 for his assist in the team's 2-1 win over Rochester on July 23. The Mariners will close out the 2005 season at Rochester on Saturday, September 10 at 7:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...
USL First Division Stories from September 7, 2005
- Whitecaps finish third overall - Vancouver Whitecaps
- Timbers aim for playoff berth with two key matches at PGE Park - Portland Timbers
- Junior Lynx wrap up 2005 season - Toronto Lynx
- Two Mariners named to USL first Division team of the week - Virginia Beach Mariners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Virginia Beach Mariners Stories
- Mariners host Miami for Fan Appreciation Night
- Mariners host Montreal Friday and Sunday
- Harrison returns to Real Salt Lake
- Mariners host Minnesota
- Simmonds named to USL First Division Team of the Week