Tulsa 66ers Celebrate Read Across America
TULSA, Okla., Feb. 27, 2007 - The Tulsa 66ers and students around Tulsa will join millions of their peers across the country this week to celebrate the ninth annual National Education Association's (NEA) Read Across America Day on March 2, 2007.
NEA's Read Across America Day, which falls on Dr. Seuss's 103rd birthday, expects more than 45 million readers, both young and old, to pick up a book and read.
One of the centerpieces of the D-League's community relations platform is the Read to Achieve initiative. As in the NBA and WNBA, Read to Achieve works to promote a lifelong love of reading and online literacy and to encourage families and adults to read regularly with young children.
66ers players, coaches and staff members will visit five local elementary schools, reading short stories by Dr. Seuss and taking questions from students about life, basketball and the importance of reading. The visits will finish with a flurry of autographs and smiles.
To honor the good doctor and celebrate the fun and value of reading, the Tulsa 66ers are asking you to join NEA, Read to Achieve, and many of America's leading literacy, youth, and civic groups in bringing a nation of readers together under one hat-the red and white stovepipe made famous by the Cat in the Hat-for a flurry (or furry) of reading excitement!
Thursday, March 1, 2007
1921 E. 29th St. N.
3213 E. 56th St. (56th & S. Harvard)
Friday, March 2, 2007
15th & Harvard
3433 S. 133rd East Ave
Tuesday, February 27, 2007
2327 South Darlington Ave.
Our goal is to show America's children the joy of reading through the week and on March 2, and every day. For more information about NEA's Read Across America, visit www.nea.org/readacross and learn of other reading celebrations that are happening from coast to coast.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 27, 2007
- Skyforce's 114-98 win closes gap on Flyers - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Pistons Assign Blalock and Johnson to Skyforce - G League
- D-Fenders win two at home - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Wizards Honor State Class B Boys Participants - Dakota Wizards
- Toros return to court with tribute to coach Johnson - Austin Spurs
- Tulsa 66ers Celebrate Read Across America - Tulsa 66ers
- NBA Development League Expands to Des Moines - Iowa Wolves
- Stampede take Key Bank reading timeouts - Idaho Stampede
- D-League daily developments - G League
- Arsenal Sweeps Season Series Against RimRockers - Anaheim Arsenal
- 14ers Dump Dakota - Colorado 14ers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.