Triumph Sign Winger Alex Morrell
Greenville, SC - The Triumph have added another offensive threat ahead of the 2020 season, announcing the signing of former South Georgia Tormenta FC player Alex Morrell to their roster, pending league and federation approval.
A graduate of the University of North Florida, Morrell made his mark for the Ospreys with 10 career goals, 19 assists and 39 career points. He was a three-time Atlantic Sun All-Conference selection and became the first player to be drafted from the University of North Florida when he was selected to the Chicago Fire as the 22nd overall pick in the 2016 MLS SuperDraft.
Morrell made four appearances with the Fire before he was loaned to St. Louis FC of USL Championship for the remainder of the 2016 season. From St. Louis, Morrell spent the 2017 and 2018 seasons with the USL Championship's Tampa Bay Rowdies. He made 35 appearances for the Florida side, netting three goals and three assists before being signing with South Georgia Tormenta FC in 2019.
"Everything about the move to join the club feels right," said Morrell regarding his move to the Triumph. "I believe Greenville will challenge me and I look forward to it. I'll give everything I have to the organization, coaching staff and players. I'm beyond excited to get started."
The Lakeland, Florida native appeared in 27 matches for Tormenta FC, logging 2,257 minutes with four goals and three assists, including the lone goal in the inaugural USL League One match that earned Tormenta the win over the Triumph.
"We are really excited to bring Alex on board, a guy that has great experience and a competitive edge to win. I've admired him as a professional for years with his ability to run at players in the final third and finish. We're really looking forward to working with him as a member of the Greenville Triumph," said Head Coach John Harkes.
Greenville kicks off the 2020 season March 27th against the Chattanooga Red Wolves at Legacy Early College in West Greenville. Season tickets are on sale now and can be purchased.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League One message board...
United Soccer League One Stories from January 14, 2020
- Union Omaha Signs 13 Players for Its Inaugural Season - Union Omaha
- Forward Madison Signs Veteran Striker Wojciech Wojcik - Forward Madison FC
- Triumph Sign Winger Alex Morrell - Greenville Triumph SC
- Tormenta FC Signs Defender Rhys Williams - South Georgia Tormenta FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Triumph SC Stories
- Greenville to Face Three Championship Clubs in Preseason
- Midfielder Chris Bermudez Transferred to Championship Club
- Triumph Sign Winger Alex Morrell
- Mohamed Earns International Award
- Upstate Spine & Sport Returns as Greenville Triumph SC's Official Chiropractor