Triumph Sign Former UCLA Standout Matt Powell for Stretch Run
Greenville, SC - The Greenville Triumph have agreed to a deal with defender Matthew Powell ahead of the team's Saturday afternoon match, pending league and federation approval. The Castro Valley, California native attended the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) from 2015 to 2019 and was a three-time All-PAC 12 selection through his four-year career.
Powell wasted no-time making an impact for the Bruins. As a redshirt freshman, he started in 19 matches and was named to Top Drawer Soccer's Postseason Top 100 Freshman list (No. 17). As a redshirt junior, Powell was one of three Bruins to start all 19 games and contribute to all six of UCLA's shutouts, with most appearances coming at the center back position.
The 2019 team captain rounded out his collegiate career with a stellar senior season, starting in all 18 matches and logging 1,561 minutes in a variety of roles including the center back, attacking and holding mid positions. Powell left UCLA having recorded six goals and five assists for 17 points through 72 games played. He started in all but one of his 72 career appearances.
Powell, who has been training with the Triumph in recent days, officially joins the league-leading side as a member of the active roster in advance of the club's Saturday afternoon match in Chattanooga.
About Greenville Heritage: Triumph roster moves are brought to you by Greenville Heritage Federal Credit Union. Higher deposit rates, lower loan rates, and cash back rewards are just a few of the ways they put money back in their member's wallets!
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League One message board...
United Soccer League One Stories from September 18, 2020
- Match Preview: Greenville Triumph at Chattanooga Red Wolves - Greenville Triumph SC
- Revolution II Game Preview: New England at Union Omaha - New England Revolution II
- Kickers Home Match against Orlando Postponed - Richmond Kickers
- Orlando City B Match at Richmond Postponed - Orlando City B
- North Texas SC and Midfielder Oscar Romero Mutually Agree to Part Ways - North Texas SC
- Triumph Sign Former UCLA Standout Matt Powell for Stretch Run - Greenville Triumph SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.