Tormenta FC to Field Both Teams in 2019 U.S. Open Cup
Today, U.S. Soccer released the schedule for the 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, a national tournament where all levels of competition have the opportunity to face Major League Soccer teams. Both Tormenta FC and Tormenta 2 will compete in the tournament. Round One kicks off May 7-8 with the Final taking place in late August.
Out of 84 total participating teams, Tormenta FC is one of only two parent clubs fielding their second team in the tournament, along with the illustrious New York Red Bulls, an MLS franchise. Per Open Cup Committee rules, Open Division teams and their parent clubs will not be matched with each other throughout the tournament unless both sides reach the Final.
This year is Tormenta FC's professional debut in the Open Cup and Tormenta 2's second year in the tournament. As a professional team, Tormenta FC automatically receives a spot in the competition, while Tormenta 2 earned its spot by winning the Deep South Division last season. In 2018, Tormenta 2 made it to the Second Round of the Open Cup by defeating the Myrtle Beach Mutiny 2-1 in the First Round. Tormenta 2 was then defeated by the Charleston Battery.
The 2019 U.S. Open Cup winner will earn $300,000 in prize money, a place in the 2020 CONCACAF Champions League and have its name engraved on the Dewar Challenge Trophy. The runner-up will earn $100,000, and the team that advances the furthest from each lower division will take home a $25,000 cash prize. The Houston Dynamo is the defending Open Cup champion.
Before playing in the U.S. Open Cup, Tormenta FC will kick off its regular season on March 29 at 7 PM against Greenville Triumph SC.
South Georgia Tormenta FC is a professional soccer franchise in Statesboro, Georgia that was founded in 2015. The club established itself as one of the premier USL League Two teams (formerly known as PDL) across the United States before joining USL League One as the founding member of the league. The club is constructing a new state-of-the-art 5,000-seat soccer-specific stadium in Statesboro. Planned to be built next to The Clubhouse on Old Register Road, the new venue will provide an exciting and authentic professional soccer experience for fans and players alike.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League One message board...
United Soccer League One Stories from January 31, 2019
- North Texas Soccer Club Signs Five Players - North Texas SC
- Tormenta FC to Field Both Teams in 2019 U.S. Open Cup - South Georgia Tormenta FC
- Lansing Ignite FC 2019 U.S. Open Cup Format, Schedule Unveiled - Lansing Ignite
- Defender Grant Stoneman Joins Lansing Ignite - Lansing Ignite
- The Price Is Right: Tormenta FC Announces $1 Student Tickets - South Georgia Tormenta FC
- Bob Jones University to Serve as Training Site for Greenville Triumph SC - Greenville Triumph SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Georgia Tormenta FC Stories
- Tormenta Defeats Greenville Triumph 3-1 in Bittersweet Finale
- Tormenta FC Falls to Toronto FC II 1-0 on the Road
- Tormenta Academy Hosts TopSoccer for Athletes with Disabilities
- Tormenta FC Draws 1-1 against Lansing Ignite on the Road
- Tormenta FC Falls to North Texas 2-1