Tiger-Cats Sign Three on Defence, Including Linebacker Newton
The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced Tuesday that the football club has signed three free agents on defence, including national linebacker Curtis Newton, and international defensive backs Frankie Williams and Joel Ross.
Newton, 23, split the 2017 season with the Tiger-Cats and Toronto Argonauts, appearing in eight games and registering two special teams tackles. The 6-2, 220-pound linebacker played in 16 games for the Argonauts in his rookie season in 2016, posting five special teams tackles. A native of London, Ontario, Newton was originally selected by Toronto out of the University of Guelph in the fifth round, 40th overall, in the 2016 CFL Draft. He played in 29 games over four seasons (2012-15) with the Gryphons, registering 139 defensive tackles, 16 tackles for loss, seven quarterback sacks, four interceptions, six pass breakups and three fumble recoveries.
Williams, 24, appeared in three games for the National Football League's Indianapolis Colts in 2016, registering one defensive tackle. The 5-9, 190-pound defensive back was originally signed as an undrafted free agent by the Colts on May 7, 2016. Prior to turning pro, the native of Tampa, Florida, spent five years (2011-15) at Purdue University, registering 227 defensive tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, 36 pass knock downs, 10 interceptions, one forced fumble and two fumble recoveries in 48 games (38 starts).
Ross, 25, attended training camp with the Calgary Stampeders in 2017 before being released on June 17. The 5-10, 190-pound defensive back also spent time with the NFL's Dallas Cowboys (2015), Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2015-16) and Chicago Bears (2016). A native of Damascus, Maryland, Ross played in 44 career collegiate games over four seasons (2011-14) for the Appalachian State Mountaineers, recording 153 defensive tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 quarterback sacks, four interceptions, 24 pass knockdowns, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from February 6, 2018
- Tiger-Cats Sign Three on Defence, Including Linebacker Newton - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- BC Lions Add Three to Offensive Line - B.C. Lions
- Argos Re-Sign Bishop, Tyms and Worthy - Toronto Argonauts
- Eskimos Re-Sign James Tuck - Edmonton Eskimos
- Winnipeg Blue Bombers Re-Sign Defensive Back Maurice Leggett - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hamilton Tiger-Cats Stories
- Former CFL Most Outstanding Canadian Receiver Fantuz Announces Retirement
- Tiger-Cats Add Long Snapper Crawford & Defensive End Marcus to Practice Roster
- Masoli Named a CFL Top Performer of the Month
- Masoli Named a CFL Top Performer for Second-Straight Week
- Tiger-Cats Release Schram