Threshers Swept in Doubleheader by Manatees
CLEARWATER, Fla. - The Clearwater Threshers dropped a twin bill to the Brevard County Manatees on Friday night at Bright House Field, 7-6 and 7-2.
Clearwater (27-35) jumped all over Taylor Wiliams to start game one.
Back-to-back singles by Roman Quinn and Jesmuel Valentin kicked off the Threshers' offense, and Art Charles tagged a three-run shot over the right-field wall to put Clearwater up 3-0.
The offense kept the pedal down as Brian Pointer and Harold Martinez followed with singles before Chris Serritella sent one out to deep right to give the Threshers a six-run cushion.
Brevard County (31-29) would chip away at Clearwater's lead with solo runs in the second, third, and fourth, before plating three in the fifth to tie the game at six.
Colin Kleven had come into game one riding 18 straight starts of going at least five innings, but could not make it out of the fifth. The right-handed hurler worked just four innings and allowed six runs - four earned - on four hits and two walks while striking out five.
Cody Forsythe relieved Kleven in a bases loaded and nobody out situation. The lefty would allow two inherited runners to score on a wild pitch and a groundout to even things up.
The Manatees would score the game-winning run in the eighth on an RBI single by Orlando Arcia off of Lee Ridenhour (2-7).
Game two started the opposite way of game one, with the Manatees pushing across a run in the first and five in the second to jump out to a 6-0 advantage.
The Threshers would scratch one across in the third on an RBI groundout by J.P. Crawford.
Jeb Stefan (6-12) settled down after the second inning, setting down 13 straight Manatees before Parker Berberet's solo homer in the sixth made it a 7-1 contest.
Art Charles launched his second long ball of the day in the sixth to bring the Threshers within five.
Clearwater would threaten again in the seventh, putting runners at first and second with one out. Quinn and Crawford would then be retired to end the game.
The Threshers will battle the Manatees on Saturday night at Bright House Field with first pitch scheduled for 6:30 p.m. The game can be heard live on threshersbaseball.com starting at 6:15 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 22, 2014
- Brevard rallies back to stun Clearwater in extras - Brevard County Manatees
- Miracle Take Friday Opener 5-2 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Threshers Swept in Doubleheader by Manatees - Clearwater Threshers
- Cardinals Edge Marauders to Remain in First - Palm Beach Cardinals
- Tomshaw, Kanzler Crack Crabs in 5-2 Win - Fort Myers Miracle
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Clearwater Threshers Stories
- Clearwater Threshers 2019 Season Recap
- Late Offensive Rally Pushes Threshers Past Flying Tigers in Season Finale
- FSL Cancels Weekend Series, 2019 Playoffs
- Two Threshers Named to FSL End-Of-Season All Star Team
- McArthur Sharp as Threshers Take Series over Flying Tigers