Threshers' Bullpen Shuts Down Mets in 5-2 Win
CLEARWATER, Fla. - The Clearwater Threshers evened their series with the St. Lucie Mets by winning Wednesday's game 5-2 at BayCare Ballpark.
Two Threshers relievers - Eiberson Castellano and Tristan Garnett - combined to face the minimum over the final four innings to preserve the win. Castellano pitched three scoreless innings, allowing just a single with one out in the sixth. He erased that by getting a double play to end the inning.
Garnett struck out the side in the ninth to end the game and record his second save.
The Threshers scored all five of their runs in the third and fourth innings. Alexeis Azuaje started the third inning rally with a single and stolen base. He went to third base on a ground ball to second baseman Justin Guerrera, then scored when Guerrera threw the ball away across the infield.
Leandro Pineda, who reached on Guerrera's error, scored on a single by Hao Yu Lee to make it 2-0. Lee stole third base and scored on a fielder's choice to put the Threshers up 3-0.
The damage was done against Mets starter Raimon Gomez (3-5), who took a loss for a third straight appearance. Gomez was charged with three runs (two earned) on three hits in 2.2 innings. He walked one and struck out two.
Wilfredo Flores led off the fourth inning with a home run against Benito Garcia. Azuaje tripled with one out and scored on an infield hit by Lee to make it 5-0.
The Mets scored two runs against Threshers starter Gabriel Cotto in the fifth inning. Omar De Los Santos cracked his 20th double of the season. He scored on a Junior Tilien ground out to get the Mets on the board. Raul Beracierta followed with a RBI single to bring home Tanner Murphy for the Mets second run.
Cotto (3-3) held the Mets to two runs and four hits over five innings to get the win.
Beracierta went 2 for 4 in the loss. He was the only Met with multiple hits.
The Mets (61-42, 21-17) and Threshers (48-55, 12-26) play the third game of their series on Thursday. First pitch at BayCare Ballpark is 6:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 10, 2022
- Three Homers Power Jupiter to 9-5 Win - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Three Homers Ignite Tortugas to Two-Hit Victory over Tigers - Daytona Tortugas
- Threshers Snap Losing Skid, Knock off Mets 5-2 - Clearwater Threshers
- Threshers' Bullpen Shuts Down Mets in 5-2 Win - St. Lucie Mets
- Hammerheads' Homers Sink Mussels 9-5 - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Marauders Walk It off on Beach Birds - Bradenton Marauders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Lucie Mets Stories
- De Los Santos Wins FSL Most Valuable Player Award
- Mets Single Game Spring Training Tickets Go on Sale Tuesday
- Mets Win Florida State League Championship
- Mets Shock Blue Jays, Steal Game 1 of FSL Finals on the Road
- Mets to Face Dunedin Blue Jays in FSL Championship Series