Three Points: LA Galaxy on Point in Victory over Sporting
CARSON, Calif. "" LA Galaxy Insider Adam Serrano's Three Points to the LA Galaxy's 2-0 victory over Sporting Kansas City that saw Marcelo Sarvas and Landon Donovan score in the win for LA...
GALAXY FLY OUT OF THE GATES
The LA Galaxy had struggled to find the back of the net during the recent three-game losing streak, but LA came out flying against Sporting Kansas City en route to a victory.
Led by the play of Marcelo Sarvas and Juninho, who outmuscled their Kansas City counterparts in the center of midfield, the Galaxy were able to dominate possession in the early on. This opened up space for Robbie Keane, whose darting runs caused headaches for the Sporting defense and allowed Jack McBean to get several dangerous looks at goal himself.
Ultimately, LA's physicality and guile in midfield paid off in the 27th minute when Sarvas outworked Sporting midfielder Oriol Rosell to the ball setting up an LA counterattack that sparked by Landon Donovan. The Galaxy attacker then repaid Sarvas for his hard work with a pinpoint pass on the game-winning-goal.
FRANKLIN, GONZALEZ, DELAGARZA, DUNIVANT BACK LINE RETURNS
To replace the suspended Leonardo, LA Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena opted for the Sean Franklin, Omar Gonzalez, A.J. DeLaGarza, and Todd Dunivant that has performed so well over the past two seasons and it paid immediate dividends against Sporting KC.
In previous games, LA's defense had conceded dangerous opportunities - particularly late - but against Sporting, the back four's positioning was nearly impeccable as LA prevented many looks for Sporting. DeLaGarza shined above the rest as his cerebral playing style helped LA keep their shape and shut down Sporting forward Claudio Bieler. With Sporting unable to breach the Galaxy defense, LA goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini had little work to do as he was called upon to make just two saves while also touching a Graham Zusi freekick off the crossbar, though he was not credited for a save on the play.
Leonardo will be available for selection next week against Real Salt Lake, but after LA earned their fourth shutout of the year against one of the league's finest attacks, Arena will be hard-pressed to break up this back four.
DONOVAN GETS HIS GROOVE BACK AGAINST SPORTING
Four games into his return to the game of soccer, Landon Donovan predicted that the match against Sporting would be when "it would all come together" and he aptly delivered on Saturday evening.
From the opening whistle, Donovan pestered the Sporting defense with his intelligent runs from midfield. Donovan's distribution was on point as well as he delivered several dangerous passes including one to Sarvas for the game's opening goal. For all his abilities in midfield, the goal finally came in the 74th minute after being moved up top alongside Keane.
After LA won the ball in midfield, Keane was sent on the breakaway and found a streaking Donovan barreling down the right-center channel. With his first touch, Donovan hammered his first goal of 2013 past Sporting goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen, doubling LA's lead. He was unlucky not grab a second goal in the 76th minute when he launched a point blank shot over the bar and in stoppage time after missing another shot inside the penalty area.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 21, 2013
- Philadelphia Union Earn 3-2 Victory over D.C. United - Philadelphia Union
- Andy Gruenebaum Nearly Carries Crew to a Point - Columbus Crew SC
- Three Points: LA Galaxy on Point in Victory over Sporting - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Galaxy victorious - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sporting KC Falls 2-0 at LA Galaxy - Sporting Kansas City
- Fire burn Crew - Columbus Crew SC
- Real Salt Lake Downs Chivas USA 1-0 - Real Salt Lake
- Chicago Fire Earn Late 1-0 Victory over Columbus Crew - Chicago Fire
- 'Caps drop road match, host rematch next Saturday at BC Place - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chivas USA Falls at RSL 1-0 - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Red Bulls over Revolution - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Continues to Dominate at Home, Knocks off Vancouver, 2-0 - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles Galaxy Stories
- Full Schedule Announced for 2018 International Champions Cup Presented by Heineken
- LA Galaxy Tops Chicago 1-0
- LA Galaxy Sign Forward Ola Kamara to Three-Year Contract
- LA Galaxy to Wear Jerseys Made from Parley Ocean Plastic for April 21 Match
- StubHub Center to Host 4th Annual Campeon de Campeones and SuperCopa MX Doubleheader on July 15