Texas' Mark Guggenberger Named 50/50 Central/CHL Rookie of the Month
March 1, 2012 - Central Hockey League (CHL) News Release
GLENDALE, AZ (March 1, 2012) -The Central Hockey League announced today that Texas goaltender Mark Guggenberger has been named the recipient of the 50/50 Central/CHL Rookie of the Month for February, 2012. The first-year net minder will receive a special gift courtesy of 50/50 Central and the Central Hockey League. Guggenberger joins Evansville's Bryan Gillis as the only two goaltenders to win the rookie monthly award (Gillis won in January).
Guggenberger, 23, amazingly allowed just 15 goals in 12 games played during the month of February finishing with a .948 save percentage and a 1.23 goals against average. The Richfield, Minnesota native's record was 9-1-1 and during his run, he posted three consecutive shutouts. The first of the shutout string of games came on February 14 against the Brahmas top rival, the Allen Americans, and served as Guggenberger's first professional shutout.
As a part of Guggenberger's shutout stretch, the CHL All-Game winning goaltender set a new consecutive scoreless minute streak with 238:31. The 6-3, 208-pound goalie won the Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week nod on February 21 complimenting his record-breaking week.
On the season, Guggenberger is 18-5-3 with a league-leading 1.82 goals against average and a league-leading .930 save percentage. His three shutouts are tied for the league lead.
Before turning pro, Guggenberger played three seasons in the Western Hockey League (WHL) earning a 40-30-5 record while playing with Kelowna, Swift Current and Portland. Last year, Guggenberger played one season of university hockey at the University of Prince Edward Island.
50/50 Central/CHL Rookie of the Month
Mark Guggenberger, Texas Brahmas
Record - 9-1-1
Shutouts - 3
Goals Allowed - 15
Saves - 271
GAA - 1.23
Save% - .948
50/50 Central/CHL Rookie of the Month Previous Winners
October - Kris Hogg, Missouri Mavericks
November - Mike Ullirch, Tulsa Oilers
December - Phil Fox, Texas Brahmas
January - Bryan Gillis, Evansville IceMen
February - Mark Guggenberger, Texas Brahmas
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 1, 2012
- Mallards Roll Over Bloomington 5-1 - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Strike Early to Down Blaze - Bloomington Blaze
- Robinson Named Number One Star for February - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Activate Coccimiglio and Bohunicky, Favot Released - Kansas City Mavericks
- Brahmas Return to Cowtown for 'Fort Worth Facecoff' Series - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Evansville Moves Back on Top of the CHL Coaches Poll - CHL
- Wichita's Matt Robinson Leads âOakley Three Stars' for February - CHL
- McKee Returns to Mallards; Grant Signs, Takac Waived - Quad City Mallards
- Texas' Mark Guggenberger Named 50/50 Central/CHL Rookie of the Month - CHL
- Rush 'Leap' into Third Place After 8-4 Victory Over Sundogs - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.