Evansville Moves Back on Top of the CHL Coaches Poll
March 1, 2012 - Central Hockey League (CHL) News Release
GLENDALE, AZ (March 1, 2012) - Back in mid-November, the Evansville IceMen (36-14-4) were the first inhabitants of the CHL Coaches Poll and now more than three months later, the IceMen return to the top spot in the league. The IceMen's position ends the Wichita Thunder's six week reign as the top team in the poll.
The poll is released on or near the beginning and middle of each month throughout regular season. Each first place vote receives 10 points, second place votes earn 9 points, etc.
The IceMen and Thunder have split two games over the past week and will meet again on Friday night in Evansville. The Thunder moved down one slot to #2 in the current poll and no other team in the top five remained the same as the IceMen moved up from #3 to #1, the Fort Wayne Komets moved up one spot from #4 to # 3, the Allen Americans dropped three spots from #2 to #5 and the Texas Brahmas made the biggest move up four spots to #4.
Evansville earned eight first place votes and Wichita was named the top team on six ballots (teams are unable to vote for themselves). The IceMen had their 10-game win streak snapped on Wednesday night in an 8-5 loss to the Thunder but still finished the month of February with an 11-4-0 record and a league-high 22 points.
Teams ranked #6 through #10 all shifted position with the exception of the Tulsa Oilers who remained in the #9 spot and Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees who remained in the #10 spot.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 1, 2012
- Mallards Roll Over Bloomington 5-1 - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Strike Early to Down Blaze - Bloomington Blaze
- Robinson Named Number One Star for February - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Activate Coccimiglio and Bohunicky, Favot Released - Kansas City Mavericks
- Brahmas Return to Cowtown for 'Fort Worth Facecoff' Series - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Evansville Moves Back on Top of the CHL Coaches Poll - CHL
- Wichita's Matt Robinson Leads âOakley Three Stars' for February - CHL
- McKee Returns to Mallards; Grant Signs, Takac Waived - Quad City Mallards
- Texas' Mark Guggenberger Named 50/50 Central/CHL Rookie of the Month - CHL
- Rush 'Leap' into Third Place After 8-4 Victory Over Sundogs - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.